ANY GOOD 1ST DAY OF SCHOOL STORIES.....

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

ANY GOOD 1ST DAY OF SCHOOL STORIES.....

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:36 pm

HELLO OLD & NEW FRIENDS,
WE HAVE BEEN FUN WITH THE TRIVIA PAGE & OTHER SHARING GREAT MEMORIES (EX: STRATTON PARK LITTLE LEAGUE). SO I THOUGHT I WOULD OPEN UP A NEW FORUM. CONSIDERING THAT TODAY IS LABOR DAY. SOME OF US HAVE OUR CHILDREN AND GRANDKIDS STARTING SCHOOL THIS WEEK. I THOUGHT WE SHARE SOME FUNNY MEMORIES OR JUST VENT!

AS MOST OF YOU KNOW MY MOM WAS A SEAMSTRESS. WELL WHATEVER LEFTOVER MATERIAL SHE HAD, FROM MAKING CURTAINS, BEDSPREADS OR SLIP COVERS, FOR HERSELF OR ONE OF HER CUSTOMERS. THAT SHE COULD
USE TO MAKE ME DRESSES WITH, I GOT A DRESS.NO MATTER HOW BIG THE PRINT OR UGLY. EVERY YEAR I GOT 5 NEW DRESSES. KEEP IN MIND BACK IN THE 60'S, WE WEREN'T ALLOW TO WEAR PANTS AT P.S. 102. SO THERE I GO OFF TO SCHOOL IN ONE OF MY "FLORAL" DRESS, IT'S WAS THE 2ND WEEK OF SEPTEMBER AND STILL VERY WARM. SO THE TEACHER HAD THE WINDOWS OPEN TO KEEP US FROM PASSING OUT. MRS. ROWAN (2ND GRADE) WAS A VERY NICE LADY WHO COMPLIMENTED ALL THE STUDENTS ABOUT THEIR APPEARANCES. WHEN SHE CAME TO ME, SHE TOLD ME THAT MY DRESS LOOKED SO FAMILIAR AND DID I GET IT AT CORNELLE'S? WELL I HAD TO TELL HER IT WAS 1 OF A KIND. BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT MOM USE TO CALL OUR "HOMEMADE CLOTHES"! AFTER A FEW WEEKS OF HEARING MRS ROWAN COMPLIMENTING MY DRESS AND HOW SHE KNOWS SHE HAS SEEN THAT BEAUTIFUL DESIGN BEFORE. ONE OF THE BOYS YELLS OUT FROM THE BACK , JUST LOOK OUT THE WINDOW AT THOSE 2 WINDOWS ACROSS THE STREET. SURE ENOUGH ONE OF MOM'S CUSTOMERS LIVED ON TAYLOR AVE, & HAD CURTAINS FROM THE SAME MATERIAL. WELL THE CLASS THOUGHT THIS WAS FUNNY & EVERY SO OFTEN A FEW OF THE BOYS WOULD CALL ME "CURTAIN GIRL". EVEN NOW, I CAN NOT BUY A DRESS IF THE PRINT RESEMBLES SOMETHING THAT YOU CAN MAKE CURTAINS OR SLIP COVERS WITH. I THINK ABOUT THIS EVERY YEAR THE DAY BEFORE SCHOOL STARTS. BECAUSE, NOW I AM THE ADULT STANDING IN THE CLASSROOM DOORWAY, COMPLIMENTING THE STUDENTS.
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:41 pm

HELLO AGAIN,
PLEASE FORGIVE ANY TYPING ERRORS FROM THE STORY I JUST POSTED. DID NOT HAVE MY GLASSES ON. SO I FORGOT TO PROOFREAD MY STORY. HOPE YOU ALL WILL SHARE SOME STORIES TOO. THANKS,
MARIE-ELENA
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:53 pm

This doesn't pertain to me but to my son's first day of kindergarten back in 1993. As the children were marched into the building (St. Frances de Chantal) there was one unwilling fellow who would not go in. It was almost like he was on a yo-yo. He would get pulled in the door and he would run out screaming. He would get pulled in again, and still would ran out screaming. He was in, he was out, he was in, he was out, howling the whole time. This seemed to go on for several minutes until they got wise and slammed the door shut.

All of us mothers just looked at each other and knew this little guy would be in for a rough time if he did not calm down. But he finally did and survived the experience. He has since moved away so I don't know if he was scarred for life by his first day of school.
Marion Farrell Cronin

My First Day of School at P.S. 102

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:25 pm

Hi Marie and Marion:

:D Hope all is well with both of you. I enjoyed reading about yo-yo boy and curtain girl :lol:

My story is about me and my first day in First Grade at my new school P.S. 102 - we had moved late fall and the weather was getting a little chilly. I was a very well behaved young lady :wink: but I was a bit of a social butterfly even back then. My Mom walked up to school to pick me up and came to the classroom door to ask the teacher if I could have the scarf and the mittens she brought up as the weather had turned a bit nippy....
My teacher, Mrs. Bell said that would be no problem at all as long as my mother would rap the scarf around my mouth and send me back to class that way :oops: I guess I was a bit of a chatterbox :?:

Remember that old saying your parents used about "I hope you have 4 children just like you" - well I did... :) Needless to say I had many first days just like mine at new schools... :lol:
Regards and Best To all Always,

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:28 pm

All I can say is, God bless the chatterers. They made life in school very interesting and much more bearable!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi Marion and Marie:

Well Marion you would have loved being in my class then, if nothing else you would have learned first hand how quickly you can empty the bottom of you seat with your belongings in order to be moved to a NEW SEAT :!: :lol:
Regards and Best To all Always,

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Postby Lydia58 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:23 am

It wasn't my 1st day of school, but probably a week or so into kindergarten at PS 102. My teacher was Mrs. Trasla (the spelling might be off). A chubby Jewish girl hobbled into class (a week late) on crutches complaining of a sprained ankle. The teacher made such a fuss over her & I remember thinking, "Oh boy, this one's going to be a real winner." 44 years later, she's still my best friend (Marla Weiss-Trudden) and she's still whining about her bad ankle.
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Return to Stratton Park