The Animals of Stratton Park and Rotas Shrimp

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

The Animals of Stratton Park and Rotas Shrimp

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:09 pm

My good friend Linda Hall just gave me and idea for a post since we were talking about our puppies. How many of you had pets? Did any of you keep pets without the landlord knowing? Did you clean up after your pup?

My mother and I loved cats and would throw cheese out the window to the occasional stray. As most of you know, cats don't keep this a secret and the visitors would increase exponentially every night. We ran out of cheese and had a big bowl of Rotas peeled shrimp bowl that we had taken home in a doggie bag. It wasn't gourmet food but it wasn't bad or fishy either. Maybe it wasn't fishy enough because we started throwing the shrimp to them and they shunned it like the plague. How ungrateful! They say beggars can't be choosers. Obviously that doesn't apply when you are dealing with a bunch of finicky cats.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby JohnTell » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:08 pm

Marion ...when you mentioned Rota's it immediately brought back so many good memories...#1 was the family steak...yea babay!!!

I remember a "neighborhood guy" (he shall remain nameless) who may have been slightly "over served" prior to his arrival to Rota's...it was a nice Sunday afternoon and he ordered two martinis, he drank one and poured the second one over his head...he was asked to leave...<:~)
JohnTell

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:00 pm

John, we could sure use a place like Rotas around here. Like I said, food wasn't "gourmet" but plentiful. You never left hungry. When I was a kid a lot of the relatives were laid out in McKeowns Funeral Home next door. We would go to Rotas fo dinner and for some reason I thought it was a really fancy place because they had steak sauce. I don't know why I associated steak sauce with ritzy, but who knows why you think what you do as a kid. Years later as I encountered the crowd of drunks there every weekend, I realized my original assessment may have been a bit off. Still, I loved and the place and do miss it.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Marion,interesting topic

Postby Linda Hall » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi there Marion and other Statton Park friends.Marion that was very interesting for sure.While on the subject of pets I could not think of what you came up with but that was fun.Well every puppy I ever had my parent's would get fed up and get rid of them.They either chewed the beds,ate the shoes,ripped up the carpet.You get my drift.So I never had a pet to long.I did when I got older thats another story.Anyway I remember also bringing in strays that would be in the street.I would hide cats under my bed or in my closet.Huh an easy find.I don't know if any one remembers the Mayor's dog,Buck.Well if you do then you remember Buck would get out of the house and come to visit Rick at the bar many times.So you just knew Buck.One night going over to Ricks I came upon Buck walking the streets again.So I asked him to politely come with me and he did.I get to Ricks house and tell him I have the Buck with me.He says no you do not Buck is in here.As it turns out it was a stray that was his twin.Well I wanted to keep him but that too is another story.We found him a home.So many puppy stories but you mention Rota's loved that place.I really liked their baked clams and scungulli and spaghetti dinner.But talk about funny when my son Brian was a baby every thing that flew or walked was a bug to him.Well I would bring Brian to Rota's and they would give me a highchair.On this one night he happens to see a fly.Ok he starts yelling, "a bug a bug mommy,look at the bug".You can just imagine the people all looking it was funny.I assured them it was just a fly.Ah I remember it like it was yesterday a nice place and John the steak was great too.Hum I wonder who that friend was? Well many a summer nights walk to Rota's.What was the name of that other steak place a few doors down from Motor Vehicle? That memory thing kicking in again. 8)
Linda Hall

Postby Don D » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:16 pm

Linda, I believe the name of the other steak restaurant was "Sizzler".

Ellie Diehl
Don D

Hi Ellie

Postby Linda Hall » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:34 pm

Hi guy's thats it.How could I forget.I used to go in there also.But it seemed to get played out and the meat was not the best.I just remembered taking my driving learner's permit and passed on the first try.Heck where did that come from hehehheh.O I remember they had some great deserts in there too. 8)
Linda Hall

The Animals of Stratton Park and Rota's Shrimp

Postby Don D » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:44 pm

At first I thought Marion was going to write about some of the guys in the days of their youth in Statton Park when she was referencing "The Animals of Stratton Park". It's a good thing and she's a little younger and either has not heard or doesn't remember all of the Beer Bar stories, some of the "happenings" would put Animal House to shame.

However, to follow up on Linda's Sizzler memories, one of my favorite Bronx Restaurants was and still is "Frankie & Johnnies Pine Tavern" just up the street from Rota's on Bronxdale Ave. If you have never been there, give it a try, but bring "CASH" as credit cards are not accepted. You will not be disappointed.

Don Diehl
Don D

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:45 am

Don, I just knew someone would think I was referring to the two legged animals who roamed our streets. Thanks for the laugh!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Return to Stratton Park