Ed Stack Memorial

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Ed Stack Memorial

Postby Don D » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 pm

[size=18]I know it has been a source of conversation over the past several years but I think it's about time we have really made a sincere effort to work with the City of NY and the NY Parks & Rec Dept toward getting PS 102 Playground, Ballfield or Pakhouse named as an Ed Stack Memorial. I have spoken to both Harry Kelly & Matt Keenan and both are willing to work with me to finally get this done.

My request to anyone who has been affected by Ed is to provide a short story in the form of a letter that can serve as support toward this task. These letters can be directed to:

To Whom It May Concern:

and mailed to me. Please contact me separately @ desd44@aol.com and I will provide you my mailing address.

Also, for relatives, close friends, co-workers or anyone who can provide information on timeline of dates / years / addresses / schools / jobs / teams starting from Birth with as many details as you can provide?

Of particular interest would be his years and service in New York City with the following:

1. NY Parks & Recreation and the Softball, Football and Basketball Teams he coached in the Citywide Tournaments.

2. Coaching the Archer Street Rams

3.Coaching the St.Anthony's Basbetball Teams

4. Coaching Stratton Park Little League

5. Any other Youth Organization he had affiliation with during these years

We will attempt to fill in the blanks directly with his immediate family.

Take some time and give this some thought before you send along the information to this website or me directly at desd44@aol.com.

I'm sure we can count on your support with the many memories that you have stored over the years and provide a solid case to make this happen.

Best regards to all for a safe and relaxing summer!

Don Diehl[size=18][/size][/size]
Don D

Ed Stack memorial

Postby Les Sherwood » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:59 pm

Don
This a great idea.
Although I was almost as old as Ed, I as well many of our friends, were positively impacted by Ed's in efforts coaching or getting us involved in sport with other parks in the area.
I will write a story about how he got a group of us involved with a touch tackle team in Mount Carment playground near Roosevelt HS.
Some of us had some interesting interesting experiences with this 8-man league including: helping a team( 4 of us, including ED, played defence) win a championship in 1963 or 1964; and, beating "The Belmonts" in championship game and literally had to fight the other team and to escape back to ArcherSt/Cotters with the help of Ed and some of the older Italian men, and being taken back to neighborhood in a big black cadillac. I will clean it up and send to you.
Regards,
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby matt keenan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:03 pm

Hello Donald and All: It was good to see you and your brother Tom at the centennial. Yes, I'm glad to see you wanting to accomplish the goal of having something at P.S. 102 dedicated to Ed Stack. As you know, I wrote about this last June and there have been several discussions at our gatherings about an "Ed Stack" dedication. Many people expressed excitement about the idea but no writings or documentation was submitted to create the proposal required for submission to the Local Community Board. Also, I now believe, after the Centennial, that we may have some connections with the Local Community Board which would help with the processing and approval. I believe a few of us have to be more diligent and persistent. So, I'd be glad to stay on board and help you with making this idea become a reality. I hope we can receive more postings on this Stratton Park site regarding this dedication along with personal emails. Don, I will email your directly and maybe we can have some info to put together before the picnic next month. Thanks again for bringing up the subject that has sort of been dormant for some time now. I'm certain if a group of us work together and get the supporting info we'll be successful. So, anyone who wants to pitch in with info or would like to be part of the research committee I encourage you to write on this site and to Donald directly. Be well, have a great weekend. Love, Peace and Happiness, Matt Keenan
matt keenan

Ed Stack Memorial

Postby Don D » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:35 pm

[size=18]I am absolutely shocked and disappointed at the response I have received on this request. The original note has been posted for over 2 weeks, had 212 viewings and 2 only replies and no other contacts to my personal email. It's time to step up, I would have never thought I would hear so much conversation without any action from the guys / gals in the neighborhood.[/size]

If you haven't done anything yet, but plan to, just drop me a note to tell me something will be coming.

Thank you,

Don Diehl
Don D

Memorial

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Don, we share your frustration at people's reluctance to post or respond to this request. If I had known Ed I most certainly would have sent something but sadly, he was a little before my time.

This would be a wonderful memorial to a deserving fellow. So people, let's get this ball rolling.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby matt keenan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:04 pm

Hello All: While we are soliciting support and information in the quest for the Ed Stack P.S. 102 playground or similar dedication, I'd like to share the procedure involved. First of all we, at the moment, Donald Diehl, Harry Kelly and I, need to prepare a biographical narrative with some supporting statements to propose to the "Land and Zoning Committee of the planning Board of Community Board # 9. The Land and Zoning Committee then presents the proposal to the full Community Board for a yes or no vote. If approved the proposal goes to the City Counsil. We can take care of the procedure and processing but right now need help gathering information and formulating a compelling narrative.

To get the ball rolling for this Ed Stack dedication and symbol of our footprints in the neigborhood we just need some help with supporting information, one page stories, from the guys as well as the gals. I recall a post last year that discussed Ed Stack forming a girls softball team back in the 60's. Also, if anyone knows of people who have historical background information please let Donald know. I truly believe we can have an Ed Stack Playground or at least the "Ed Stack" Parkhouse. Thanks, for your support and have a great weekend. Love, Peace and Happiness, Matt Keenan
matt keenan

Postby Les Sherwood » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:58 pm

I think one important legacy of a successful person is to influence others to do similiar endeavors-for example being a good coach, teacher of youth. I kmow many of us benefited from having Ed as a coach. But what about those who learned important skills from him and used them to be successful coaches, whether in organized sports or simply a coach of a son/daughter's soccer team, etc.
I know that there are many.
How can we influence them to tell their stories?
Just a thought.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby Jimmy Carolan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:08 pm

Donald,

Been very busy lately with my daughters wedding approaching. I will certainly assist in the Ed Stack Memorial project. I will put some thought on paper and e-mail to you.

Jimmy
Jimmy Carolan

Ed Stack Memorial

Postby Don D » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:02 pm

Thanks Jimmy!

Jimmy Carolan wrote and forwarded to me a terrific letter in support of this effort. Are there any more out there that we can count on in support of this task?

You can forward along to my personal email DESD44@aol.com

Regards to all!

Don Diehl
Don D

Return to Stratton Park