Am I getting old, or does music today just really ~~?

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Am I getting old, or does music today just really ~~?

Postby Lydia58 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:38 am

I know I'm getting old, but I've always considered myself very open-minded to current music. I mean, I just went to a Beastie Boys concert in Brooklyn last month (although I know Beastie Boys aren't exactly current). But I watched those MTV awards this weekend. (I admit, I wanted to witness Britney's "comeback") Was there one good performer? It was pathetic. I like the Foo Fighters, but their performance was weak. I'm wondering, what kind of music do you all listen to now days? I'm still a huge Rolling Stones fan, but they can't tour forever, can they? I adore (really, I do) Courtney Love's music, but she's not stable enough to tour. I'm just interested in knowing what kind of music you all are listening to. Anything new, or just the same stuff we were into in the 60's and 70's? I'm so glad I didn't grow up in the age of music ~~, when looks mattered more than talent. 90% of the singers & musicians that mattered would never have had a chance.
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:00 am

Lydia, now I sound like my mother, but most of this stuff you can't even call music. A steady drum beat accompanied by vulgar lyrics is not music. What happened to songs with melodies that you can sing along to. I am not talking about "Mitch Miller's singalong" type stuff, just a song that you can hum along with.

My kids like U2 (I like them too), Hooty and the Blowfish, OAR and Maroon 5, so I have been forced to listen. Basically, MTV caters to the lowest common denominator. Tuned them out a long time ago. Give me the Beatles anytime.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Mike Durkin » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:34 pm

Three Doors Down is a great group,just seen them with Lynard Skynard.They were great!
Mike Durkin

Postby Lydia58 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:19 am

I can't believe this is all the response I've gotten to this topic. Back in the day, at least in our group that hung out at 102 in the 70s, it seemed music was so important to us. We had quite a few talented musicians and singers in the crowd and we would jam into the wee hours of the morning. Led Zepplin, Rolling Stones, etc. Where are you guys?? What kind of music are you listening to now? I still listen to the old stuff, but I do listen to U2, Prince, Nirvana, Hole, Tom Waits, Rickie Lee Jones, and yes-some rap. Beastie Boys put on one of the best concerts. I thought I'd get more feed back on this topic. Just because we're old doesn't mean we're dead.
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

not getting old-todays music does stink

Postby bob5915 » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:52 pm

Hey Lydia:
I agree with you on the music today :D . The music from the 50's thru the early 80's was the best. I myself was always an oldies fan and still am. Love the doo-wop. My all time favorite probably along with everyone else is Unchained Melody by the Righteous Brothers. I remember many years ago when we would hang out late on the 102 park benches and I would ask Packy Trudden when he brought out the guitar to sing Tears on my Pillow by Little Anthony and The Imperials and he did and he had an excellent voice. If you see him ask him if he remembers that and send my regards to him and Marla. Hope all is well and will talk again soon. Can't wait for that big reunion at Saint Anthony's.
Regards, Bobby Roth
bob5915

Oh my God, I can't believe I was edited

Postby Lydia58 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:24 pm

I just noticed that my original subject was edited. My how proper we've all gotten in our old age. I'm such a rebel.
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:21 pm

Lydia, I know you wonder what happened to that word. In order to thwart the raunchy posters, Mike compiled a list of words that might appear in the off color postings. That word is one of the words on the list so it was automatically "bumped" off your post!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Rosie » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:35 pm

:P Dear Lydia I am older than you. Give me the music from the 50's and the 60's. My stomach turns at times when I hear it today.

Rosie
Rose T Nocella (Clarke) Schofield
Rosie

Music was EVERYTHING back then!!

Postby jkelley » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:19 pm

This is my first time posting but I visit once in a while. I don't even know how many people will remember me. My name is Joanne Kelley (used to be McQueeney) and this question got to me because music is so prevalent in all my memories of hangin out "on the corner" or in the school yard. We were always singing!! One of my most vivid memories is January 23, 1973 when a bunch of us from the neighborhood went down to Madison Square Garden to see Neil Young (Linda Ronstadt was the opening act) Neil was in the middle of a song and someone came out on the stage and handed him a piece of paper. He stopped playing and looked at the paper and then stepped up to the mike and said "the war is over". I still get goose bumps. Joanne Kelley
jkelley

Postby Lydia58 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi Joanne,
By any chance are you related to Janet McQueeney? She lived in Parkchester and hung out in 102 Park. She had 2 brothers: Johnny and Joey.
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby jkelley » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:03 pm

Yes, Lydia, Johnny, Janet and Joey are my sister and brothers. We lived in Parkchester but I started hanging out on Archer St around 1968 or so. I hung out with Noreen Fitzgerald, Brian Clark, Jimmy White, Eamon Kelley, Kenny Steininger, Helen Costa, Janie Goodell, etc, etc. Are you Janet's age, she's 7 yrs. younger than me? Joanne
jkelley

Postby Lydia58 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:54 am

I never knew Janet had an older sister. I'm a year or two older than Janet but we were good friends. How is she doing? My email address is Lydia58@optonline.net if you want to email me.
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Return to Stratton Park