Memories from the class of 59 of their school plays

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Memories from the class of 59 of their school plays

Postby kay rogan moore » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:35 am

We are responding to mike cronin's plea for more posts. This was a collaborative effort from the class of 59 trying to remember our annual plays.

We remember that once a week we were herded down the steps to the auditorium where Ms Shields, bedecked in bangled braclets, and her pianists, Ms. Hartz or Ms Sheridan, tried to teach us the joys of music and dance. We were charged 10 cents a week to buffalo one, buffalo two step our way to put on a show for our parents and neighbors.

We remember that some of the songs we performed were "I am the monarch of the sea" song by the boys and a solo "I'm called little Buttcup" in a tribute to Gilbert and Sullivan (very high brow)...and a dance recital with different dances to "Juke Box Saturday Night", "Fascination", "Tea for Two" and "Rock around the Clock"...The dance recital was tricky as we had 18 boys and 30 girls so we're not sure how that was overcome. We were in Costumes by Paul in the early grades but then moved up to Lerners and Cornells as we got to the 7th and 8th grades. One year the boys had to dye a white shirt a specific color for their costume. We also remember that we rehearsed and rehearsed and that the goal of the students was to make someone laugh and be punished by either the nuns or worse Monsignor Scully who showed up to watch the rehearsals. To this day, we still laugh hysterically about some of the antics.

The play was on Sat and Sun and it was SRO with our parents and neighbors being a most receptive audience.

Fondly, the Class of 59
kay rogan moore

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:01 pm

Kay, when I think about St Anthony's, I too think fondly of the music and dance. I am thankful that we got to learn some real American classics (which I doubt are taught any more). The other day at Mass we sang "Let There be Peace on Earth" and I remember Mrs. Murawski drilling us on the words so that to this day it is no effort to sing both verses.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby pgirty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:24 pm

I only recall one play for the Class of 64 - and it was an Irish theme. We had to wear Kelly Green dresses. I do remember that Brenda Behringer who had a lovely voice sang :) & Mussels Alivo Alivo. Most of our dancing was at Teen Club - up on the stage doing the Locomotion. Certainly more fun than dance class with shuffle shuffle step step.
pgirty

Postby Grace Pasquale » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:15 am

I remember being allowed to bring games and coloring books to the classroom so to keep ourselves busy while the other classes performed. That was a treat!! Also, lining up in the back staircase, which led to the stage, waiting our turn to go on, with butterflies in my stomach.

"Shuffle, back, tap"

Grace (Bertola) Pasquale
class of '61
Grace Pasquale

Postby JohnTell » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:14 am

Oh how I hated those plays... :x

They made us all wear MAKE-UP!!!

Living in 1517 Taylor my route to St Anthony's took me to the corner of Archer St. and Taylor Ave.... right past all the "big guys" who were known then as "The Archer Boys" ....

I was so humilated... to be seen by my idols with not only MAKE-UP on but some silly looking costume that consisted of a multi-colored jacket that looked like a psychedelic barber pole or something ...:oops:

I still have nightmares about that weekend...!!!

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Postby Kathleen » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:25 pm

John Tell, your posts always make me laugh! I'm sure you looked so handsome in your makeup. Is that what made Annie fall in love with you? I just remember a couple of our plays--in one the girls wore Little Red Riding Hood dresses and then in another one the boys wore top hats and tails and the girls wore pretty orange dresses. My family always made good use of the outfits--if it was a dress, I loved that because it meant I had an extra dress to wear which was great because I don't think we had too many clothes back then. And if it was a costume, we would wear that costume for Halloween, whether we wanted to or not. In one old family Halloween picture, one of my brothers is mad because he had to wear a skeleton costume. And Honey was actually the Blessed Mother one Halloween!

On another note, after the reunion we were sitting around talking and someone said you used to live on Beach Ave. up by Tremont, but I thought you lived on Taylor across from the park. Who is right?

Hope you all have a great time at the picnic next week, give my best to Annie. Take care.

Kathleen
Kathleen

Postby Karenmancof » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:03 pm

I not only remember the plays but I have pictures from them that were part of the slide show at the reunion. Grace you were in my class and you are in one of my pictures dressed in a gypsy costume. If you'd like to see it, e-mail me directly at kmann1026@aol.com

Karen Manning
Karenmancof

Postby JohnTell » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:48 pm

Kathleen Kelly, I remember the song from that play with the Top Hats... :roll:

"PUTTING ON MY TOP HAT, TYING UP MY WHITE TIE, DANCING IN MY TAILS"...

Made me feel like a regular Fred Astaire... :D

JohnT :shock:

BTW We lived on both Taylor and Beach Avenues... so you were both right Kathleen...<:~)
JohnTell

Postby Kathleen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:58 am

John,

You remember the Top Hat song, I remember parts of the Little Red Riding Hood song. Maybe Frank's band has the music for the 2 songs and at the next reunion we could be part of the entertainment. Think about it!!

Kathleen
Kathleen

Postby JohnTell » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:40 pm

Kathleen...I think we were in different classes until the 4th grade when they made the big "switcheroo"...I don't recall the Little Red Riding Hood bit...

Do you remember Peter Daniels singing a solo in about the 2nd or 3rd grade...he surely woulda won American Idol with his powerful rendition of MR. SANDMAN...

I'm game to be part of the entertainment at the next soriee if you feel up to it...<:~)
JohnTell

Postby Kathleen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:47 pm

Hi John,

I don't recognize that kid's name. I'm surprised, but we really didn't do too much with the other class in our grade, did we? The next time you see Frank see what you can work out for our act. Thanks.

Kathleen
Kathleen

Return to Stratton Park