ST ANTHONY'S MASS.SEPT. 30TH

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

ST ANTHONY'S MASS.SEPT. 30TH

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:51 pm

HELLO OLD & NEW FRIENDS,
HOPE TO SEE SOME OF YOU AT MASS THIS COMING SUNDAY. EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT A REGULAR CHURCH VISITOR.IT WOULD BE NICE TO COME VISIT OUR OLD PARISH. I HAVE KNOWN NON-CHRISTIANS WHO HAVE WALKED INTO ST. ANTHONY'S AND SAID A PRAYER & ASKED FOR HELP. SO SEE YOU ON SUNDAY. DON'T BE ASHAMED BECAUSE ITS BEEN YEARS SINCE YOU STEP INSIDE A CHURCH. NO ONE IS KEEPING SCORE.
STAY SAFE DEAR FRIENDS, MARIE-ELENA
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:33 am

Let's hope we have a huge turnout! I would love to see the church packed, just like when we were kids.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Cathy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:18 pm

Marion and Marie-elena, I too am hoping for a great turnout. I've heard from quite a few people who plan to be there, so I expect we won't be disappointed. Afterwards, there will be a short cake and coffee get-together down in the gym/auditorium where people might get to meet up with some old friends and also greet the Bishop. While I didn't attend St. Anthony's school, I certainly attended mass there and also remember some really wonderful time at dances and teen club.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

Cheers,
Cathy
Cathy

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:37 pm

hello cathy & all other old & new friends,

i also did not attend st anthony's school.but was christened there & 1st holy communion too. i also baptized a few godchildren there too. have been to many weddings, funerals & sunday masses. so it will be nice to see the old church again, also to see some old buddies too. one of my favorite photos of my niece gina, is her 1st communion,stand outside by the grotto. am feeling a bit mushy tonite. so i had to share . hope to see you all on sunday. does anyone remember the old days, when our grandmothers would put a tissue with a bobbypin on your head if you didn't have a hat for mass?
see you all on sunday...............
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:29 pm

That's funny. Can you imagine explaining to our kids these days why someone would be walking around with a tissue on their head! In St. Anthony's school they had us wear these round lace thingys, which probably had a real name other than lace thingy.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:52 pm

Hello all - well last weekend has come and gone and to all who attended the 11:30 Mass, I know you join me in thinking that it was just an outstanding event. Notwithstanding the walk down memory lane that we all took while sitting in church, it was a most rewarding spiritual and holy experience. I cried and so did many others, just for the joy of being there again and remembering the First Communions, Confirmations, Graduations, Funerals, Dances and whatever else we did in that wonderful place.

For all who couldn't make it, please join us all for the events coming up next year. You will be glad you did!!!!
Marion Farrell Cronin

St. Anthony's Memorial Mass and " Kickoff " 100th

Postby pfhanley » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:08 pm

The Memorial Mass was a special experience. The weather was perfect. The church looked wonderful, clean and freshly painted. The statues were all recently refurbushed and the altar looked beautiful. Lots of memories came to mind... Baptisims, Confirmations, Graduations, Weddings, Funerals, etc. , etc. The parishoners were welcoming and friendly. The mass ( a combinaton of Spanish and English ) was a memorial experience ! It was great to see so many old friends !

The reunion committee is now positioned to commence contacts with all of our relatives, classmates, old neighbors and friends. We expect to witness a very substantial turnout . Of course we can still use some additional help so please consider becoming a member of our " Outreach Committee " . Also, please help out by making your attendance commitment early ... Why Not This Month ?

Best regards,

Packy Hanley - St. Anthony's '56
Pat ( Packy ) Hanley
pfhanley

Postby Kathleen » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:06 am

Happy to hear everything turned out well on Sunday, the pictures were great and the church looks beautiful! My sister, Honey, and I are driving up to NY next week for a few days. While there, I'm planning to go to the Bronx on Monday to visit a friend who still lives on Beach Avenue. I think while I'm in the neighborhood I'll walk over to St. Anthony's and hopefully be able to get into the church, it's been a long time since I've been there. I might even take a walk over to White Plains Road and see how everything has fared over the past 31 years! I hope I'm able to make the reunion in May. I'll talk to Harry and get all the details.

Just a quick note, I heard on the radio this morning that the TV Land channel will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of Leave it to Beaver this weekend--does that make anyone else feel old?

I met a woman last weekend (here in Raleigh) who grew up on Beach Avenue and went to St. Anthony's, I think she said her name is Francis Moran, and her brothers are Mike and Tom. I didn't know her, but I told her she should check out this site and she might see people she recognizes.

Take care.
Kathleen

Return to Stratton Park