DO YOU REMMEMBER

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

DO YOU REMMEMBER

Postby vinnie imbrosci » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:33 pm

I was at a red light today and crossing the street were a row of kids carring towels and lunch boxes and suddenly i was thinking back to archer st. the community center and all this great stuff we used to do'.we had softball, dodgeball stickball the great archer rams them guys were good just hanging out talking to agreat bunch of girls we had they made what was all good in the neighborhood,the games we made up hot beans and butter johnny on the pony curb ball ringo leavieo andof cource the swings. yes I say it i even look back to my favorite time stuck in a pegion coup ha ha ha ha that was forpatty so let me just end by saying I love arche st. therefor I love you all god bless all YOUR FRIEND FOR LIFE BIG VINNIE
vinnie imbrosci

Postby Buggsy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:39 pm

It was agreat neighborhood and the community center and the park were the center of activities for kids. It is real sad what they did to the park when they expanded PS102. On any given day during the summer there would be numerous games going on in the park and the alley at 102. Everything from touch football, basketball, stickball, softball, cards, craps and anything you could think of to keep a kid entertained. A great place that has been destroyed by city planners who have no idea what makes a neighborhood.
Buggsy

Postby JohnTell » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:33 am

Vinnie...you are right about the great memories of PS 102...remember Mr Cohen and Mr Elkin...

Bugs, you forgot a couple of popular activities in the alley school yard of PS 102...making out and drinking beer/wine...<;~)

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Postby pgirty » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Hey guys: The park was like a second home. Shuffleboard and arts & crafts in the morning, Dodge ball in the afternoon and then hours of sitting around talking, gossiping and teasing.

I'm going to be in a softball game on Thursday in Central Park. I warned my fellow team mates that the last time I played in 1964 against the Neutrals - the score was 54 to 2 - in favor of the Neutrals.

I've since learned that our team was called the Black & Whites? Patty
pgirty

J.T. i do remember.

Postby vinnie imbrosci » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:32 pm

john tell i do remember both men mostly mr. elkin i liked him patty wish i was able to come and watch you play have a good game and have fun also bugs you are right about stickball in p.s.102 alley it was great.
vinnie imbrosci

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:01 am

hello old & new friends,

I also have fond memories of P.S.102 park. We learned how to play hopscotch, make keychains. Let's not forget, how to wait for a handball court. We didn't need "inter-active" ~~ games. We didn't need someone to teach us how to share or how to settle a situation. We chose sides, in games. We had the "rock,paper, scissor" rule, when all else failed.We got plenty of fresh air and our mothers knew where we were. We got to cool off in the summer. The showers was a great place to hang with your friends. I remember when they put the original "black rubber mats". Yes they were hot even back then. but you had the common sense NOT to walk barefoot on them. Especially,when there was a glob of icky gum,melting on the mat. We had to learn to dodge toddlers,waddling by. As their moms watched from the benches.
There was no sand in the sandbox, for a long time. But we used it in our games. It could be used for "BASE", when playing tag. How many of us, tried to learn how to balance (walking on) on the see-saws. Or go down the slide, without burning our legs & butts.

Next Monday is "BANANA SPLIT" DAY. My mom would bribe me to go shopping with her, to Parkchester, with a banana split. I love Woolworths, where there was the "balloons", that you got to choose 1. What ever the price was, inside the balloon, was the price you paid, for your banana split. Now it cost as much for a banana split, for what you pay for a gallong of gas. Unless, you happen to be in City Island. there is a cute, ice cream parlor, called Lickety Split. Hope every body enoys the rest of the Summer. Stay safe dear friends. marie-elena
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Return to Stratton Park