Saturdays at the Palace Theater

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Fri May 25, 2007 11:52 am

Hi Nick:

Yup! Very possible we do know some of the same folks... I bowled at the Playdrome from a very young age.... Yes, I do remember the hot dogs with potatoe salad (that was back when it was really potato salad and not canned stuff)... MMM Good ... We always seem to drift back to food LOL But that is what I miss the most about the old Bronx - Good Food Good People and a Good Life... I too got my working papers about l3 and had my parents sign to allow me to get it early. My first job was up at St. Anthony's. I worked in the rectory receptionist (Father Grogan got me the job) and I also worked occassionally in Sam's Candy Store corner of Archer and Taylor (used to be Harry's) whom I worked for occassionally too.

Tell me who you stayed with from the neighborhood. I think you may be a little younger than I, Nick. I am 57 and was born in 1949 - Moved to Beach Ave. in the 50's and then to Archer (1803) later on. I graduated St. Helena's Business School in 1967.

Let me know about you - HAVE A GREAT MEMORIAL DAY HOLIDAY to you and your family Best Always, Patsy
Regards and Best To all Always,

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Postby nick drewes » Tue May 29, 2007 4:05 pm

I was born 3/14/47.
Glen Simson and I bowled for $$$ at playdrome. Up stairs in the back.Back in the late 50's and early 60's
I went to P.S. 102 & JHS 127.
I hung around St Athony's on Commonwealth Ave & Beach Ave.
I hung out with, Tommy O'Connel (TOC), Tommy Mitten, Johnny Him, Johnny Hettman, not sure of the spelling. The late Ronald Wilkie. My brother in law Joey Paino. To name a few.
You are about the same age as my sister Athena.

Have a great summer
nick drewes

Postby nick drewes » Tue May 29, 2007 4:13 pm

You mentioned to live in the Richmond area.
I go to VA. ever year to see friends.
Are you close to the Cloverleaf Mall?
To you watch TV land?
One of my friends lives on Mast Dr.

Have a great day
nick drewes

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Tue May 29, 2007 8:33 pm

Hi Nick:

:) Yes, I am familiar with some of the names you mentioned. My parents were good friends with the Mintons. I knew Tommy as their son but did not hang out with him. I also went to l02 and 127. I am sorry I did not know your sister Athena. I did however know a Marion Hym (don't know if they are related but she did have a brother) also know a Susie Hetman (possibly a brother I am not sure).

For some reason I thought you were younger than I. But, you only got me by two years. Tommy will probably remember my sister Betty-Ann.

Yes, I do know Cloverleaf Mall (on southside in Richmond Area)... I don't go over that way too much. You get real spoiled when everything is near by and you don't need to travel to places. I went there more when we first moved here (about 17 to 18 years ago) because there weren't any good malls on West end just after we moved from West end they opened up a big beautiful mall there and now I live in Mechanicsville, Va. That is a little more north of both Richmond and Southside but not too far from each other.

I graduated St. Helena's Business School (only went there for 2 years as Monroe was not the best when I was going there)...

Great talking to you and if you ever drive down this way give me a heads up and let me know and we are right off the highway would love to meet you if you are headed our way.
Hope you had a great Memorial Day (we just hung around and saw our children and grandchildren). Best Always, Patsy

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Tue May 29, 2007 8:34 pm

Hi Nick:

:) Yes, I am familiar with some of the names you mentioned. My parents were good friends with the Mintons. I knew Tommy as their son but did not hang out with him. I also went to l02 and 127. I am sorry I did not know your sister Athena. I did however know a Marion Hym (don't know if they are related but she did have a brother) also know a Susie Hetman (possibly a brother I am not sure).

For some reason I thought you were younger than I. But, you only got me by two years. Tommy will probably remember my sister Betty-Ann.

Yes, I do know Cloverleaf Mall (on southside in Richmond Area)... I don't go over that way too much. You get real spoiled when everything is near by and you don't need to travel to places. I went there more when we first moved here (about 17 to 18 years ago) because there weren't any good malls on West end just after we moved from West end they opened up a big beautiful mall there and now I live in Mechanicsville, Va. That is a little more north of both Richmond and Southside but not too far from each other.

I graduated St. Helena's Business School (only went there for 2 years as Monroe was not the best when I was going there)...

Great talking to you and if you ever drive down this way give me a heads up and let me know and we are right off the highway would love to meet you if you are headed our way.
Hope you had a great Memorial Day (we just hung around and saw our children and grandchildren). Best Always, Patsy

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Sat at LOWES in Parkchester

Postby Rosie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:03 am

Does any one remember going to Lowes in Parkchester also on Sat. maybe it was just the kids from PS 102.

We would tickets for the movie. Those wre the good old days.

Rosie
Rose T Nocella (Clarke) Schofield
Rosie

Re: Sat at LOWES in Parkchester

Postby nick drewes » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:28 am

Yes I remember going there. In fact I worked there part time when I was in high school (early 60's). I used to let my friends sit in the front section of the balcony. At that time you had to pay extra to sit there. In fact When I went to P.S.127 we had our graduation there. As we walked in some of us took popcorn that was left in the machine and ate and tthrow it around during the graduation.

When did you go to P.S.102 & P.S. 127?

Have a great day 8)
nick drewes

Lowe's American on Saturday's

Postby Joe Anastasio » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:29 pm

Yes, I remember going to to Lowe's American with free tickets my mother got from the bank across from Macy's. It was usually a kid's show - a cartoon and a movie. I enjoyed it many times.
Joe Anastasio

Lowes American

Postby Rosie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:44 pm

[color=brown][/color] :D Hi Joe I saw posting> My Brother is Eddie Nocella. Your Mom and Dad were good friends with ny parents.

You were to young to remember me. I even baby sat for you and your sister,

Rosie
Rosie

Lowes American

Postby Rosie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:45 pm

[color=brown][/color] :D Hi Joe I saw posting> My Brother is Eddie Nocella. Your Mom and Dad were good friends with ny parents.

You were to young to remember me. I even baby sat for you and your sister,

Rosie
Rosie

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:25 pm

Hi Rosie, and Joe and Nick,

Saw your postings and I too remember the Lowes American. Saw lots of great movies there too.

Hope all are well and had a great Memorial Day Weekend....

I also remember the really big fanasy Lowes Paradise too - but by the time I was old enough to go alone or with my boyfriend that one was almost shutting down. Does any one remember the Ice Cream Parlor near that theatre called "Jahn's".... They used to serve an ice cream called "The Kitchen Sink" LOL I remember it even came in a mini sink with the drain attached to it... Anyone who could eat a whole one of those (and I watched many people turn green trying) deserved the sink and probably needed the drain pipe :lol:

Well take care all Patsy

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Pat...I still have a Jahn's menu in my attic....

Postby toddf » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:00 am

If you want me to make a copy for you let me know.......
toddf

Postby nick drewes » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:02 am

The Lowes on the Grand Concourse. How about the gold fish pond they had in the lobby.
Alexanders on the corner.
The Ice Cream place on Kingsbridge?
The RKO Fordham?
The old 3rd Avenue el that stopped were Sears is?
And of course who cannot not forget the home of the BELLY BOMBERS, White Castle on Fordham. 5 cents for one and a orange drink. Or the great hot Coco with the little marshmellows in them.
Back to work. Take care all.
nick drewes

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:45 am

Hi All:

Who remembers the Nedicks stand near Alexanders - the best hot dogs and the fries mmm
ALSO HAVE NEVER FOUND anything to rival the Orangeade Drinks that ran through those pump fountains at the stand - :lol: They had to be the dirtiest looking things but without the gunk the flavor probably would not have been there (what do chef's call the pot's they use and reuse without really ever cleaning them out :lol: ?) Oh! Yeah WELL SEASONED - Yup - that's the ticket that orangeade was well seasoned and served in paper cone shaped cup that fit into the metal cup holders ... ALSO good was the House of Weenie and Sabret hot dog wagons - THIS IS NO LIE .. I worked on Madison Ave. for 5 years and had the same hot dog man where I would buy my Sabrett hot dog almost every day for lunch (pizza sometimes would be supplemented) but I was saving to get married at the time and I loved those hot dogs with the red onions and a little sauerkraut (meal fit for a King) :lol: Anyway I had been doing this for a long time when one day it was pouring rain and I got there late and the old man was packing in his wagon but knew me and stopped to get my hot dog for me as I watched him he opened the lid on the hot dog bin where he removed his upper plate of teeth turned to me and smiled and said "the usual"..... Needless to say I paid for the hot dog but just could never bring myself to go back for another... :oops: In case anyone is still wondering NO :P I did NOT EAT LUNCH THAT DAY :lol:

Well enough of the "Tales From the Dark Side" :wink: Best to all have a great day!

Patsy

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:54 pm

Hi To All on this Topic PARTICULARLY TODD F:

My computer has been sick and I have been off line for a while and just wanted to be sure and thank Todd for his kind offer to send me a copy of Jahn's menu. The reason my response to this and my thank-you for the offer is so late is I just didn't read all the posting or missed reading yours with your kind offer. :oops: You don't need to send me a copy (BUT I REALLY DO APPRECIATE YOUR THOUGHTFUL OFFER). I would probably gain 20 pounds just reading the menu :lol: I can't believe you still have the menu Todd, we have moved so much that I have gotten rid of so many things I now wish I would have kept. Again, thank you for the offer. Jahn's was a place my husband and I would go to after a movie on a friday or saturday nite. Lots of fond memorie. Did you go there often too??? You must have - since you still have the menu or was there a very special occassion involved that you kept it from (I am just curious if you want to share) :)
Thanks and again I apologize for such a slow response to a very kind offer.

Regards to all,

Patsy :D

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

PreviousNext

Return to Stratton Park