Trivia

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Re: Trivia

Postby Jimmy Carolan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:52 am

John, Donald

Good guess with "Dean the Dream" it is incorrect however. It was a New Yorker who led Marquette to the title though, Buth Lee a Clinton grad. here are my other answers to Donald's question.

Georgetown - Patrick Ewing
Villanova - Ed Pinckney (Bronx boy)
San Francisco - Bill Russell
La salle - Tom Gola ( ex Knick)
Holy Cross - Bob Cousy
Loyola of Chicago - ???????

Jimmy Carolan
Jimmy Carolan

Postby Don D » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:22 pm

I knew Jimmy Carolan would be all over this one... He's absolutely right on with all of his picks including the ?????? for the top player for Loyola of Chicago. They were a team of virtual unknowns with a track star, Jerry Harkness who was their key player when they who won the NCAA's in 1963.
Don D

Postby Jimmy Carolan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:37 am

Donald,

Your mentioning of Loyola of Chicago in 1963 is pretty interesting. The movie "Glory Road" released a few years back chronicled the 1966 championship season of Texas Western, now known as University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP). Coached by Don Haskins, they defeated a Pat Riley, Louie Dampier led Kentucky team coached by Adolp Rupp. It was the first time an all black starting 5 was used in NCAA history. What few people realize is that the Loyola team 3 years earlier had 4 black player start a game in the tournament and that went against a team rule limiting the number on black players on the court at one time.

Another connected side story, I recently was on a plane travelling from Dallas to NY when former NBA star Tim Hardaway sat down next to me. Tim Played at UTEP for legendary coach Don Haskins and was returning from his funeral. A very nice guy, for you St John's fans, he was part of "Rum TMC". The Tim (Hardaway), Mitch (Richmond), Chris (Mullen) combo at Golden State.

Jimmy
Jimmy Carolan

Previous

Return to Stratton Park