Bronx Movie Theatres Frequented in 1960s

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Bronx Movie Theatres Frequented in 1960s

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:04 pm

Name that 1960's movie house or drive-in from the neighborhood or beyond, with a corresponding memorable movie you saw there if you can remember one.

I'll start it off. I think it was called the "Globe" theatre by the "wall" on Pelham Pkwy, and the movie was "Easy Rider," with Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, and Jack Nickolson.

Eddie Acunzo
Eddie Acunzo

Re: Bronx Movie Theatres Frequented in 1960s

Postby JohnTell » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:04 pm

Eddie...The Bronx Whitestone Drive In has a few good memories...<;~)

The one I will mention here is The Thrilla in Manilla...Ali Frazier III...

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:42 am

The first movie I recollect seeing in a theatre was Mary Poppins in the good old Loews American. Also frequented the Palace and occasionally the Globe. Later on I worked for Loews Corp. and got free movie vouchers every two weeks to any Loews Theatre. Those were the days!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:02 pm

John,

If my memory serves me correctly, I've been to the Whitestone (and the Throggs Neck was it called?) a time ot two myself, with a date in the seat next to me, sadly probably another couple double-dating in the trunk, all equipped with a quart (or three...) of Schaeffer or Rheingold (does that bring you back?) and possibly other libations, ready to embark on an adventurous Saturday night. I bet that place has been closed for a gazillion years. I wonder what's there now?

Marion, I can also fondly recall more than a few afternoons spent evading summer heat of one sort or another in the cool comfort and darkness of the Loews American, catching a double feature while things "cooled down" on the street, and I escaped from my troubles for a while.

Eddie
Eddie Acunzo

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:45 pm

I think I saw Grease five times one weekend in the Loews American. It was free - what the heck!!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:46 pm

Hello Old & New Friends,
Yes I remember going to the Loews American, with my sister Dina, to see Mary Poppins. Also her best friend Monica White and her kid sister Eileen. It was many years later until Dina and I went to a movie, together again. We saw "Moonstruck". It was playing at the Loews American. I remember going to the Palace and watching 2 movies. if you came in late. you waited for the 1st movie to start again. so that you could see the beginning part that you missed.I went with my mom, aunt margie (Paino), Patricia and her sister-in-law Jeannie, to see "Gone With The Wind". Jeannie was pregnant and near her "due date". It was very hot out and we were all glad to be in "air -conditioning". They kept teasing her and telling her not to go into labor until the movie was over.
I saw a few movies at the Circle. the last movie I saw there was a Al Pacino movie, called "Scarecrow", with Gene Hackman. It was one of Pacino's first movies. We would go to Fordham, to go to the Loews Paradise, for something special. I recall seeing "The Sound of Music" there. I loved going to the drive-in, every summer, with my Uncle Joe & his family. Then as a teen-ager, i dated a guy, who loved "Clint Eastwood". So we would see his movies, as soon as they came out. I still think about my old beau, when ever I see a Clint Eastwood "Spaghetti Western".
Thanks for the memories. STAY SAFE DEAR FRIENDS, Marie-Elena
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby Les Sherwood » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:14 pm

I remember one of the greatest movies I saw at a young age was Gunga Din at the movie on Morris Park Ave. My father brouh t me but I think you ulterior motives; he left me to go across the streeet to drink with his friends.
I had a great time yelling as the British beat up on the Indians.
Another special special movie was with my friend who was a few years older and took me to the Rosedale on Westhester ave when I was aaround 6 or 7.
He also left me watichng a movie abou t a white hourse and another movie about 10, 000 BC. He also left me but I was having such a good time I think I watched both 2x.
But then I felt a hand on my shoulder and around l7 PM when I looked bachk my father had peicked me up and prcceeded to kick me hoe all the way to 1523 Taylor.
Otherwise this were a great group of movies.
All the best.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:06 pm

Les,

I remember the Rosedale, although I hadn't for about 40 years. How about a different "el": RKO Chester on Boston Road in West Farms Square? Is it still even called West Farms Square, do you know?

Eddie
Eddie Acunzo

Postby Linda Hall » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:16 am

Hi Eddie good post.I am not sure if that RKO still exits but I do remember all the rest you and the others spoke of.Wow a blast from the past.I went to the Loews American so many times I cannot remember all the great movies I even saw there.However I do remember some of the ones I took my son to see as the balcony was just great to watch a movie from and the screen well they don't make um like that any more.I would race to the top to see many a movie with him.I took him to see "Godzilla" when it came out as he just loved his Godzilla.I do remember though when Godzilla fell he looked up at me crying and said,"mommy why did they do that to him"I felt so bad for the kid but he wanted to see it again and again.We also saw "Jaws" and "ET".I remember as a kid Brian liked monsters like all kids well some anyway.I remember the Interboro in Throgs Neck a nice place too.I took him to see "An "American Werewolf In London",well as it turned out we were both to scared to stay.He said to me,"I wanna get out of this place, so did I,when I saw that thing come running out so funny now.Good memories and fun to remember.I also remember when they started making smaller movies within the Loews what a shame.It just never was the same as they did with many of those other movie theaters.What about the Circle and the Palace not sure if they were mentioned but many a good movie in there too.Thanks for the memories guys. 8)
Linda Hall

Postby Les Sherwood » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:41 am

Thing about the RKO Chester I thouhgt about a story about an experience a friend, Dickie Craig(RIP) had there.
In the early 50's ( yes I am aging myself again) th ey had horrormovies/shows on Friday or saturday night. Dickie loved the movies, especially horror ones or comedies. At 11 or12 years old he somehow convinced his mother to allow him to go inthe th e night show. Before th e movie th ey had a horror show on the stage with people dressed as th e werewolf, dracula, Frankenstein, etc. As th e show went on Dickie who was by himself became pretty scared with the noise, howls etc. Then some of the actors started walking down the aisles.with "Frankenstein" came down the aisle and sat in the seat next to him. But he was afraid to look at him. After a bit Frankenstein said to "What are you doing here? ", to which Dickie jumped up and ran out the movie and all the way back to Beach Ave.
Now Dickie liked to to tell a good story especially scary ones to younger guys like me.Of couse we loved his stories, the scarier the better. AThis brings back a good memory of a nice guy.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby Linda Hall » Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi again I have to tell you Less that was a riot.I laughed my head off.I am glad you had a good memory and you shared it with us.I also realized an error it was "King Kong" that fell but never the less we did see "Godzilla" so many times.Eddie I jumped the yrs.some but those were most enjoyable to me.On another note,Marion thanks for the help.I hope to see you and Woofer on Halloween.lol 8)
Linda Hall

Postby Don D » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:00 pm

I remember seeing "Goldfinger" at the Loews American, "The Exorcist" at the Palace, "The Godfather" at the Loews Paridise on the Grand Concourse and the original "Rocky" at the Interboro in Throgg's Neck.

Lastly to answer Eddie Acunzo's earlier question, the Whitestone Drive In is now the Whitestone Multiplex and indoor 10 or 12 theater establishment.

When we were kids, the movies was always a good place to spend a rainy Saturday afetrnoon watching some double-feature.

Don
Don D

Postby bronxbombertoo » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:51 pm

How about "The Mysterians" and "Forbidden Planet" at the Circle on Hugh Grant Circle. For those who had notions of leaving the Bronx, the planet Mysteroid was no better choice.
Our memory recalls that Anne Francis was in one of them and that was always worth a look.
And, you could walk home through Parkchester to see how the next level up in the food chain was doing..................imagine life without roaches!!!!!
bronxbombertoo

Postby bob5915 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:15 am

I remember as a kid growing up and going to the Palace. The price was 50 cents for kids and 75 cents for adults cents. If you had $2.00 you were rich. you got popcorn, a hot dog and a soda and a box of good and plenty for about 1.25 to 1.50 and if you were with a group of friends you would quickly have one guy open the door and let your friends in on the side entrance, this way you had more money for goodies. everyone yelled because of the light and if it were croweded you never got caught. Smoking was allowed and you usually saw 2 movies and a short. Now that was the good old days.
Bobby Roth
bob5915

Postby Les Sherwood » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:16 pm

I
tried to resonse to this post but I hit some key that sent it into the netherland by Microsoft.
Now I typed it out on MS and then copy to the post.
Bobby. Good post but I guess I am a bit older. When the Palace first opened in the early 50’s the first price I remember was $.15. With $.50 I would have been a rich man.
When a great memory was during the break of the 2 movies, the series like Superman and the cartoons ) etc all the boy went downstairs to the lower floor by the restrooms and we had a general free-for-all. Once the next show came on everyone returned to our seats.
I don’t think anyone wrote about the RKO Castlehill.. One great movie in the middle 50’s ( I know the rules said the 1960’s but…) was “The Creature From the black Lagoon”. This horror was about a creature-park alligator and part man- That terrified a lake. It had great scenes and terrifying music.
After seeing this movie I was very reluctant to go swimming at Orchard and even at Bronx Pool( 2 places that should invoke some good memories) .
In the 50’s and 60’s boxing was very popular on TV. And even they had special events at the movies. At we had had an unique experience. They were showing a live telecast of a Floyd Patterson and Sonny Liston at the Loew’s American for $20 ( Big bucks in the early 69’s). We got a good group from Cotter’s to go after get ourselves well lubricated with Shaeffer to see the fight. Now th is was not as bad to see the Giants bus trip but we did not endear ourselves to the theater management. Just after the prelimaries was finished and the main event was to start th e screen wnt blank. Everybody went crazy especially our group. Nothing happened for 5 minutes and when they fixed the problem and came on live Floyd Patterson was on the floor knocked out in the 1st round. Pandemonium broke out. With this livid, raucous crowd they could only refund our money otherwise the place would be in shambles. It was an experience as usual.

We also had some great experiences at the Paradise lke seeing the first showing of “The Thing” with James Arness(?), a raelly scary movie but that is another story.
Don great idea about the movies. How many movies house we had easly access to?
Les Sherwood

Next

Return to Stratton Park