Happy Halloween

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Happy Halloween

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:39 pm

Hello Old & new Friends,

It's that time of year again. I know that since this site has been around for a few years now. That We have discussed "Halloweens Past". But I just had to mention it again. My sons carved our pumpkin tonite. So I am in a nostaglic mood. So if anyone else feels like joining in , feel free to share. It's sad, that during Labor Day weekend, i went shopping in J.C.Penney's & was horrified.
They were setting up Christmas decorations and displays. I was still wearing "white", shorts and flip- flops too. One June, a few years ago, my cousin took her kids shopping in Taget, on the last day of school. She still had their school bags in the trunk of her car. The store was putting out "Back To School", signs. So why should I be shocked about "Christmas" decorating in September!

I always loved Halloween. as a kid. My mom would make english muffin pizzas and cupcakes for
my friend Lisa Luciano, her siblings and me. We use to go to Parkchester to get even more candy. Sometimes, we had to go back home and empty our bags. I recall for 2 years in a row, Julie,
Lisa's younger sister, had a bad sore throat and cold. So we took an extra Halloween bag and collected for Julie too. But only in 1574 Beach, where the tenants knew Julie. My mom always put a carved "Jack-O-Lantern", in her bedroom window, with a lit candle. How lucky we were, that it never fell and started a fire. I now live in Pelham Bay. My boys are grown. So I sit down in front,
with a very large bowl of candy. I have been here long enough, that the same people make sure they bring their kids by to say Hello. So if you are in the area, "trick-or-treating", with your grandkids. Please stop by and say hello. I will be the very large "Butterfly" on Mayflower Ave.
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Re: Happy Halloween

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:56 am

It surely was exciting to visit Woolworth's for the halloween costumes. I remember they came in rectangular boxes with cellophane (does anyone even use that word anymore) on the front so you could see what you were getting. Sitting here writing this, I can almost conjur up the smell of Woolworth's - part hamburgers from the grill, part pet food, part new sheets and towels - they all combined to form that unique Woolworth's smell.

My youngest is 14 now so I don't think he will be trick or treating. But I will dress up my dog in her NY Mets costume just to remind everyone that it will be METS IN '09!!!!!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Return to Stratton Park