A Touch Fooball Team with Ed Stack

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

A Touch Fooball Team with Ed Stack

Postby Les Sherwood » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:51 pm

Ed Stack was a few years older than I, and this was before Ed was the coach of the Rams. But even then he was always trying to keep the younger guys involved in sports.
Around 1962(when Ed was ~25 years old and I was 21) Ed told us that the “Chief Parkie” at the public park in the Belmont section( by Roosevelt HS) had a young team that was joining a touch-football(8-man league) and were looking for some more experienced ball players. We thought it a good idea and Dan Meade, George Burns, Ed and I signed up.
We mainly played on the defense(of course we preferred offense), but Ed helped us to understand that we could play a more important, team role by being the stalwart on the defense. It was not till many years later that I realized that defense made champions.
We had a nucleus of good ballplayers and as the seasoned went on we jelled into a very good team. Ed played a key part in that-always teaching helping out on coaching with the main coach Lou.
We qualified for playoffs and then got into title game against the Belmont’s who had won the title the last 3-4 years.
Let me tell you a bit about the Belmont team: big and strong, intimidated other teams; had a group of guys who were associated gangs in area (Fordham Baldies, Golden Guineas) and reputed to a source of “soldiers” for the Mafia. I am not kidding about this as I found out some years later. .
The Championship game was a tough, close one but in the 2nd half we starting to take charge and went ahead which made the Belmonts more and more angry. “Who were these young punks beating us”? On the line we were literally protecting our heads from being punched. When they the Belmont realized they were going to lose, it turned into a melee. And since I was creating a lot of the problems by getting into the back field and knocking heads with the blocking back called “Mooch” who was~275 lps. and built like “odd job”-6 foot square. Who was this “four-eye” 165lps. guy who was creating a lot of the problems?
It got so bad that they wanted to literally “get me”. Ed, being the usual wise one, talked to some of the older Italian men about the danger and asked them for help.
The next thing I know I was being taken from the park and whisked into a big, black Cadillac and then taken back to Archer Street.
When the Cadillac pulled up to Cotters and everyone wanted to know what was going on. I replied: “Oh nothing, we won the championship and they were just giving me a ride. And the other guys would be coming back soon”.

There were thousands and thousands of interesting stories about the Stratton Park neighborhood (Maybe more)residing in the collective memories of those who lived there) and I hope this was one of them, one that we can relate to, especially because it was one of a great person-Ed Stack. what do you think?
Les Sherwood

Re: A Touch Fooball Team with Ed Stack

Postby JohnTell » Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:23 pm

Hey Les...Great story!!!

Were you at all worried that ride in the Caddy might have been a one way trip, ending with you wearing a pair of cement shoes...:wink:

When I was about 13 or 14 yrs old, Eddie took a bunch of us to the Bronx River Housing Projects to play against a very good, all black Basket Ball team coached by Abe, Eddies counterpart from Noble field...needless to say the outcome of our game didn't end quite as happily as your game did in Belmont... :D

Besides us getting trounced, the only other thing I recall was I ended up with a black eye from an elbow under the boards...thinking of retibution I looked around the gym and seeing the demographics of the crowd were not quite in our favor, I immediately came to the decision that descretion was indeed the better part of valor... :D

Eddie came out on the court to render first aid and was applying a cold compress to my shiner he gave me great credit for my astute understanding of the situation and my positive non-action taken in the face of such overwhelming odds... :wink:

I'm sure Jimmy Carolan was there and probably even remembers the score we got cremated by... :D

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Postby Les Sherwood » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:21 pm

John
That was a good story.
Being young and not too smart I did not appreciate the gravity of the situation.
Lucky we had Ed to broker the situation.
A few few years the book "The Godfather" came out it talked about th at neighborhood. Then I had belated case of the shakes. Of course after a few bravato building beers it was source a few good laughts.
I am surprised to not hear many stories about the Archer Rams which was a source of pride to th e neighborhood for their accomplishments and I am sure some interesting stories.
I have a short one.
In the eary 60's when Ed first started the Ram's we had a game at Williamsbridge Oval between the "older rams", a never well-organized team and the new Rams coached by Ed.
Now with most of "older" guys around 21-22 we had some good ballplayers like Danny Meade, George Burns, John Kelly, "Monk" Horan John Lee etc. On the first play of the game the young Rams working the single wing pulled off a successful "H" and fly pass that we executed by Fred Diehl to perfection for the only score of the game.
Of course who was the safety on that side that was ~~ in on the play? I will never forgive Fred for that one.
I guess I was 4-5 years older than the younger guys, most at 16-17. We always wished we had Ed as coach as we had some good ball players but nerver organized.
Over the years I watched many games at Rice Stadium W. Oval, etc. The Rams were always a well-coached and succesful team.
I am curious about a few facts about the Rams:
1) how many yers did Ed coach the Rams?
2) Whatwere th eir records?
3) h ow many Champions they won. I know I went to a few.
4) How many guys from the neighborhood do you th ink playeded for the Rams? I know a lot of guys from outside th e neighborhood also played for the team since it was a very successful team, as I said previously-a source of pride , even those who were "burned" playing against them.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:49 pm

Hey Les,

If you don't mind, send me an e-mail address to I'mfifty@aol.com. I'd like to discuss something with you.

Eddie Acunzo
Eddie Acunzo

Postby Les Sherwood » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:54 am

Eddie
I tried to e-mail you at I'mfifty@aol.com but did not work.
My address is"lessherwood@comcast.net.
All the best.
Les
Les Sherwood

Return to Stratton Park