Neighborhood Nicknames

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Neighborhood Nicknames

Postby Don D » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:03 pm

Hope everyone is doing okay.

I think Stratton Park, like many of the old New York neighborhoods had its share of nicknames. I remember when we 1st ran the IFOND Golf Outing, I had to give some thought to remembering the 1st names of Anthony "Bugsy" Merendino & Tom "Tiger" Savage.

Actually, a funny story about nicknames was when I went to work for Metropolitan Life Insurance and was told I would be working for Al Abbamonte and should wait for him in his office. After about 15 minutes, in the door came Freddy "Pizza" and I asked what he was doing there and he told me it was his office. I imagine the look of surprise on my face was a give away when he said, "you really didn't think my name was Freddy "Pizza" did you? To which I responded that I didn't think it was Alfred Abbamonte.

Some of the nicknames were shortened versions of part of their name, (i.e. Tommy "Bubby" Ubelacker & Harry "K" Kelly. I think Harry's actually started as "Special K" after a basketball player on the Nets.

I kow there was an Ace, Monk, Doodles, Dingo, Spider, Rabbit, Bambi, Mouse and a Rhino to name a few. I also know there was a "Rooster" and a "Turkey" as well as others, but some of those origins should stay untold.

Let's see if we can remember not only the name, but the origin. I can start with a few from my age group.

~ Richie "Bailey" Burke after the basketball player Bailey Howell

~ Tommy "Fish" McElroy because he worked in Augie's Fish Market

~ Danny "Kato" Bracco after the character on the Green Hornet

For those of you who didn't know, Freddy "Pizza" was the nephew of the owner of Vinie's Pizzeria, before it became Mama Gilda's.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Don & Ellie Diehl
Don D

Re: Neighborhood Nicknames

Postby JohnTell » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:30 am

Donald...before he was "Fish" he was known as "The Professor"....<:~)

Oh and BTW how could your list omit one of your close buddies, "Poopsie"...

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Postby Kathleen » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:00 pm

Donald,

I'm not sure if this is true but I believe you were referred to in the neighborhood as
"Mr. Charming". At a recent family gathering, it was brought to my attention that a certain member of the Kelly family dreaded when our mother would send her shopping at Pioneer. She was afraid she would run into you!! You were at the above mentioned gathering and I must say the name "Mr. Charming" could actually be used to describe you now. And I would be able to say it with a serious face.

Take care, give my best to Ellie. And John, give my best to Annie. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Kathleen
Kathleen

Postby JohnTell » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:25 pm

Kathleen...

WoW...

I never knew Donald Diehl of all people, was called "Mr. Charming"..."Mr. Charmin" woulda been more like it...(as in "please dont squeeze the Charmin")

And I know a few other names he was called but this is a family board...<:~)

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you too Kathleen, even if you did used to get me in trouble all the time with the good Sisters' of Charity in St. A's...<;~)

JohnTell

Postby Don D » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:11 am

[size=150]Kathleen - I'm not too sure many people would have referred to me as Mr.Charming either then or now. John may be closer with his reference, but I'll take the 1st as being somewhat facitious and the 2nd as a very nice compliment. Hopefully some of those people I teased, tortured or abused have removed me from their s--t list, but if they haven't I understand.

John - I'm not sure I remember who "Poopsie" was, so you will have to remind me.

A few others to add to the previous list were Archie "Skull" Murphy, Jimmy "Tex" Hall, Andy "Wimpy" Fay, Dennis "the Sweeper" Fay, Bob "Farmer" Hillman, Kevin "Bugs" Clark, Billy "Smiddle" Raftery, Al "Slick" Mahoney....

I know there's more, we just need to shake loose some of the cobwebs.

Don[/size]
Don D

Postby JohnTell » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:03 am

Donald...I can't believe you don't know who Poopsie is...you never woulda gotten through HS without his guidance and protection...<:~)

JohnTell

Postby Don D » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:59 am

John - I'm not sure how much guidance "Poopsie" provided, but yes, protection was a huge part of my survival in High School. He was definitely someone to be reckoned with by classmates, upperclassmen and teacher's. I remember him telling a Math Teacher in Sophmore or Junior year that he would "kick his a--" if he failed him. That teacher actually pleaded with me to talk to him and that he would have to fail him. End result was the teacher did fail him although he was scared to death and "Poopsie" let him off the hook, as I knew he would. I'm sure it was his big heart that earned him the name "Poopsie".

Don
Don D

Postby bronxyank » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:42 pm

can you remember who ....? Chaz, Lumpy, fuggypoo,The Pellet, Crash, Ace Murphy, Doc, Flash, ???
bronxyank

Postby Don D » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:46 pm

Chaz, Lumpy, fuggypoo,The Pellet, Crash, Ace Murphy, Doc, Flash, ???

I'm guessing Freddy "the Pellet" Pellet, Ace Murphy lived down on Taylor Ave near Archer St, there were about 5 Doc's - Eddie Doherty, John Doherty John "Dolphin Doc" Doherty, Tommy "Doc" Kirschner, but who were the rest of these guys and what was the origin of their nickname?

Don
Don D

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:19 am

Here's some from the sixties: G.G, Magoo, Speedy, Ringo, Bobby Red, Silky, and Injun.

Eddie Acunzo
Eddie Acunzo

Postby bronxyank » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:51 pm

Don........ Chas? was Charlie Tell, Lumpy? was Billy O'neil, Fuggy poo? was Bobby Cousins, The Flash? was Allen Cohen, Magoo? was John McCarthy and Anthony merendino was Buggsy
bronxyank

Postby JohnTell » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:40 am

Harry...don't forget Richie Merindino was the first "Buggsy" , then came "little" Buggsy...we also had another Theriot Avenue resident nicknamed "Buggsy"...

Kevin "Buggsy" Clarke made it a third "Buggsy" from Theriot Ave ...three "Buggsy's" on one block that must be a record , somebody call the Guinness people...<:~)

BTW... Kevin "Buggsy" Clarke played almost an entire game for the Archer Rams with a seperated shoulder...OUCH...now THAT'S what I call dedication...<:~)

JohnTell

Postby Don D » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:43 pm

Kevin "Bugs" Clark was a pretty good & tough football player in his own right. He played defensive end and would regularly separate his shoulder before & during games, pop it back in and continue playing. He was a great player to coach, had a very positive attitude and played hard all the time.

Don
Don D

Postby Lydia58 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:23 am

OK-skipping ahead to the the 1970's. We had Mousy, Rat, Pinky, little Pinky, Packy, Kitten, Shorty, Little Harry, Little John, Red, O Solo Mio, Squirt...those are all I can think of off the top of my head. Any others?
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby rabbate » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:05 am

Donald you mention Mama Gilda's - Ahhh yes Memories of Mama Gilda's - I remember in the early 70's playing stick ball in 102 (above the third set of windows was a triple) not a homer!) Homer was on the roof and then either the game was over or u had enough to buy another spaldine! anway $1.25 at Mama's Gilda's got two slices and an orange soda I used play the juke box - Elton John Crodile rock and play the pinball machine in the back! Great memories
rabbate

Next

Return to Stratton Park