Let's go see Doubt in Parkchester

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Let's go see Doubt in Parkchester

Postby Lydia58 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:46 am

Hey all,
I see the movie Doubt is opening in December. What about getting together as a group and going to the Loew's American in Parkchester on opening night? I think that would be a great show of support. Anybody interested?
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Re: Let's go see Doubt in Parkchester

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:42 pm

Lydia, I am definitely interested! Do you know what the date is?
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Lydia58 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:02 pm

The movie opens Friday Dec. 12 but the times aren't listed yet and I'm not sure if it's playing in Parkchester but I think that would be an awesome excuse for some former Stratton Parkites to get together. Maybe we could even do it Saturday 12/13 in the afternoon and take a hike through the old neighborhood. What do you say guys?
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:15 pm

Count us in! I know others will be interested. Many our Stratton Parkers live somewhat of a distance away, but there are still quite a few around the Bronx. I'll make a few phone calls. Hopefully we can put something together.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Don D » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:03 pm

What a great idea!!! After the movie, you should just stroll down Archer St on Saturday, stop have a slice of Pizza, do some shopping, maybe Murray's & Mama Gilda's are still open... The locals would love to have you....
Don D

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:57 pm

Hello friends,
It would be wonderful if we could have gone to the Loews, to see the movie. but i "doubt" it, if it will be showing there the 1st week. I would love to get together, with a bunch of people to see the movie. How i spent hours in Murray's with my mom. Almost as much as in her favorite material store, Cameo Fabric on Westchester ave. She must have done 50% of her Christmas shopping, in Murray's . As well as buying other items, all year long. I always wondered what their storeroom looked like. If we are going to "wish" about where to go, i have a request to add to the list. Can we stop at Minnie's to get candy? Or maybe stop at our all time favorite deli? so i can get "Sweet-Sixteen" doughnuts.

The Riggio-Ferrier family did our annual "Christmas Decorating", last Saturday. I unwrapped, a few very special Christmas candles, I inherited from my mom. I have 4 choir singers & Santa. They are as tall as my thumb. I think i bought them, when I was 6, for 15 cents, each. (the price is still on Santa's feet) I know all of you remember what kind of candles, I am talking about. They were always on the glass (enclosed) shelf at the deli, on Taylor Ave. The shelf, which we would lean on, while we waited to be served. I received The "Vermount Country Store" catalog. They are selling replicas for $9.99 per set.
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby Lydia58 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:15 am

Hey,
Am I detecting just the slightest twang of sarcasm here or is it just my imagination? Is anyone NOT willing to spend a Saturday afternoon in December strolling around the old neighborhood? I'm sure we can all handle the "locals."
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Lydia, I think Don Diehl had his tongue firmly implanted in his cheek when he replied!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Lydia58 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:05 pm

I was going to reply to that-but the last time I was bleeped. I'll let you know where and when the movie is opening and those tough enough to brave it can meet me there.
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby Don D » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:35 am

No, that wasn't sarcasm!!!

I just think that if you need to be brave or tough to go for a stroll and see a movie, it's probably not worth the effort. I would much rather save my bravery & toughness for something more important.

Marion - my tongue is now out of my cheek.

Merry Christmas!

Don
Don D

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:28 pm

Have you all seen the previews for Doubt on TV? I had viewed some of the trailers, but actually seeing our very own St. Anthony's on TV commercials is exciting.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Don D » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 pm

Yes, I did see a few of the trailers. I also did see the play when they were touring thru Hartford, CT.
It is interesting to recognize some of the names and to know they were real people.

Don
Don D

Postby Lydia58 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:02 pm

I checked Fandango, and unfortunately it looks like "Doubt" is not going to be playing in The Bronx. Which I think really stinks. Parkchester really is not in the least bit scary. Last summer my friend Marla & I walked around all day long, shopped in Macys, walked down to Starbucks, had a great day, no problems at all.
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Dearest Lydia,
I would have loved for you & Marla, to come to the Bronx. But I knew that this movie is way too big for a Parkchester movie theater. Sorry to say that i can't see "Doubt", this wkend. So nobody tell the ending, on this site. It is weird that we know the actual church and neighborhood. For some of the "older kids", who attended St. Anthony's during the time period of this movie. It has to be even weirder. Am looking foward to search for some of our friends who were extras in the movie. Hope those of you who get to see it this weekend. Will enjoy it. Just don't tell the outcome on this site. thanks.
Stay safe dear friends.
marie-elena
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby Cathy » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:32 pm

I am sorry to hear that Doubt won't be playing at the Lowe's American. I was actually going to bring my 97 year old mom-in-law to see it. I am in the neighborhood often and always go for walks through parkchester, over to St. Raymonds which was my grammar school.

A few of us have seen the movie. There was a premiere on Sunday night to benefit the Actors Fund. We found out about it on Friday morning with moments to spare to get some of the last seats. If there had been more time, we would have put the info on this website. In any case, it was a fantastic evening. It was thrilling to see our neighborhood just about from the first frame of the movie. What a rush! It's just surreal. We spotted a few of our "extra" friends in the church scenes. I saw Betty Kelly a couple of times. Others saw a few more of our friends. While I hadn't gone to St. Anthony's, I have heard so much about some of the teachers...so I felt like I knew some of these characters. Of course...one of the characters...Noreen Horan...I know pretty well. There is an adorable girl who plays Noreen Horan in the movie, so it was great to introduce them to each other. Cherry Jones, who played the Meryl Streep part (the Principal) in the broadway play, specifically asked for Noreen as she remembered her from the previews of the play a few years ago.

The film is great. The play had consisted of only four characters. The film fleshes it all out, showing the students with their different personalities and the teacher/student relationship. While overall it is serious, there are plenty of chuckles too as these classroom situations are so familiar to us. If you can...see it with some old neighborhood friends. You will want to talk about it later with people who can relate.

Congrats to John Patrick Shanley for a wonderful, wonderful movie and also to Sister James.
Cathy

Next

Return to Stratton Park