Let's go see Doubt in Parkchester

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Re: Let's go see Doubt in Parkchester

Postby Marty Gavin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:31 pm

This message was originally aimed at the St. Anthony's Class of '55 (dated 13 Dec 2008). But some of it may be of interest to others.

Marty

Hi Folks,

I suspect this is old news to many of you, but in case it slipped by you here's some info for nostalgia buffs.

The movie version of "Doubt" has been released in selected cities and will go into general release next Friday.

What does that have to do with you and I?

Well first of all the author of the book/play/screenplay is a graduate of Sr. Anthony's - albeit a bit later than us. He lived in one of those private houses on Beach Avenue about where Guerlain St T-Boned Beach Ave south of Tremont.
See the graduation pictures section of this board 1964. John Shanley is about half way down on the left.

The second reason is that the exterior shots were taken at St. Anthony's.
Try clicking on the following link
http://www.strattonpark.com/
Next select "Pictures" - Bottom choice on the left
Next select "Doubt Photos"
Click on individual pictures to enlarge. Click the browser back button to return to the small pictures.

In addition to the period nuns' habits and the old cars and trucks (it's set in 1964), you'll probably get a chuckle at the resurrection of "Jake's Candy Store". The one place my memory fails is the Walk/Don't Walk signs. Were they there in our days?

For a bit more info, click the following link for an article in Friday's USA Today.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/new ... nuns_N.htm
I don't normally get USA Today but it was the freebie at the Motel I stayed in at Hershey Pa on Friday night (Yes, chocolate town USA). Still being of unsound mind I wasn't there for the chocolate. Instead I was sitting in Hershey Park Stadium watching the Pennsylvania High School Football Championships. It was cold enough that the Hershey weather service had urged the locals to bring their brass monkeys indoors. So it was a complete accident that I happened upon the article in the link above.

But since I was at that football stadium I missed the Charlie Rose show on Friday night. The first part was supposed to be

A conversation about the film "Doubt"
with Amy Adams, John Patrick Shanley, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep on Dec 12, 2008
I have no idea when Charlie Rose is rebroadcast in your area, a brief trip to the PBS.org web site should tell you.

To see the movie trailer, click on the following link;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpa37qaOp80

The concept of Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman going head to head has my interest even if there was no St. Anthony's connection.

Marty
Marty Gavin

Postby Les Sherwood » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:32 pm

Marty
It's great to see to you put a post on the website.
However you may have mistakenly written it in invisible ink, which was popular in the 1950's.
And then again my old eyes deceived me again.
Marty was a gradulate of 1955 with me. we need to encourage more fossils like me and him to write more-they have great memories.
All the best.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby Les Sherwood » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:36 pm

Marty
It is my old eyes.
when i first looked at I did not see your post. Mea cupa.
Thanks for your post.
Regards.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby madeline » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:21 pm

Just came from the Movie Doubt. Wonderful to say the least. What memories! Many a chuckle and even a few tears. Thank to the Sisters Of Charity and the Parish Priests who tried to do their BEST]. Thank You John Patrick Shanley for telling the story.
I wish everyone a Healthy and Happy New Year.
Madeline (Thornby) Jones
madeline

Postby Marty Gavin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:14 pm

Madeline,

Agree with you completely. (Note to other viewers of this post - I don't even know who Madeline is, so I'm not agreeing to be nice.) You're right when you say "Wonderful to say the least."

The acting is amazing right across the board. My hat's off to the film editor or editors who neatly integrated the outdoor St. Anthony's and neighborhood shots with the Mt. St. Vincent's interior shots almost flawlessly. The only discontinuity a non St. Anthony's resident might notice is the big outside door to the Church at St. Anthony's and the little back door from inside the Church at Mt. St. Vincents. Prepare to leave the theatre feeling like a limp rag. It's that engrossing.

I suggest before you go that you click on the following two links for background.

For the Sisters' of Charity take on "Doubt" click the following link;
http://scny.org/news_Doubt_08.html

For a great interview with the author and the stars of the movie hosted by Charlie Rose;
http://www.charlierose.com/view/interview/9790

Marty
Marty Gavin

Postby Pat Dillon » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:39 am

I saw DOUBT with the Broadway cast and this week, the movie. Great dialogue, terrific acting and a thought-provoking story. I vacillated between Father Flynn's guilt or innocence in the play. In the movie, however, I was more on the side of his guilt. Yet I have doubts. In one scene he's seen returning a T-shirt to Donald Muller's locker. Was that scene in the play??
Despite my doubts about father Flynn, I like his sermons. Thanks to John Patrick Shanley.
Sister Aloysius might come across as Dragon Lady but she did what was best for Donald. Despite her doubt, she took no chances that Father Flynn might harm any boy in St Nicholas's school . She's tough as nails, and practical, kind and brave.
I enjoyed seeing my old neighborhood on film.
Thanks and congratulations to John Patrick Shanley.
Pat Dillon

Previous

Return to Stratton Park