Christmas In and Around Stratton Park

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Christmas In and Around Stratton Park

Postby info » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Christmas is a magical time for kids - I know it was for me growing up in the Stratton Park Area. Parkchester was especially "Christmas-like", with the decorations on the streets,at Metropolitan Oval and not to be forgotten Santa's House near Loew's American.

I never realized till I got older that the little houses in the Met Oval fountain were fake - they were just there to hide the "spitting" fountains, and the trees and fireplace with the radio on top served to hide the big fish!

The stores - Macy's & Woolworth's just screamed Christmas. I remember going over to the toy departments and making a mental list of toys for Santa.

You could then stand on line to see Santa in his house and tell him what you wanted!

Merry Christmas to all our fellow Stratton Parkers!
Attachments
pkchster_oval_christmas_web.jpg
The Oval @ Christmas
pkchster_oval_christmas_web.jpg (269.31 KiB) Viewed 6476 times
info
Site Admin

Re: Christmas In and Around Stratton Park

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:19 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, everyone, from New Orleans.

I have many fond Stratton Park holiday memories, but some of the most wholesome and cozy revolve around attending Midnight Mass at St. Anthony's with fresh snow crunching beneath my feet on my way there and back from Taylor Ave. I loved listening to the Christmas hymns of the choir during Mass, as well as the solos. I hardly remember their names any more, Silent Night, Adeste Fidelis, etc., but I still remember the breath and the depth of their feeling, that will stay with me always. Corny as it sounds, I get goose bumps as I recall them now.

I wish everyone a beautiful, simple holiday.

Eddie Acunzo
Eddie Acunzo

Postby info » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:47 am

One more memory hit me - Christmas Trees!

1- For a time, we went down to the train tracks East of Unionport & Tremont to get a Christmas tree right off a freight car! They always seemed fresh, smelled good, and lasted till way after Christmas

2- Old trees, with tinsel still on them, could be found on the curbside , waiting for pickup by the garbage truck - recycling not heard of! Also could be found being burned in the lots!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strattonpark.com
info
Site Admin

Postby amonti » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:44 pm

I, too, remember purchasing a Christmas tree off the train on E. Tremont Rd. My parents did not drive, so walking was our only option. My dad walked behind holding the trunk and my mom was up front holding the tip.

Another memory I have is of my dad and I going for a walk in the neighborhood after decorating our tree. We lived on Leland Ave and walked up to Taylor, Beach, etc to see the holiday lights on people's homes. Then, we returned home where my mom had dinner waiting for us.

I liked how the condensation on the windows would diffuse the Christmas lights and make them look even more beautiful.
amonti

Postby Lydia58 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:53 pm

One of my fondest Christmas memories was walking to the train tracks on East Tremont with my dad to buy our tree. It always smelled great and lasted so long. About 2 years ago I broke down and finally bought my first artificial tree because the real ones I bought never smelled like anything. Why don't trees smell anymore?
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby jkelley » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:02 pm

I grew up in Parkchester and have wonderful Christmas memories, the Oval, the lights on Unionport and the stores all decorated. We would trudge up to the freight yard and pick a tree, which was all bundled up so you couldn't really tell what they looked like ( but I never remember a bad one) and carry it home, usually dragging it part of the way. We'd hang those big colored bulbs, throw handfulls of tinsel at it and it was gorgeous and very fragrant. The whole apartment smelled like a pine forest. I live in a small town in CT and every year since I've had kids we go out and cut down the tree and it's a fun day but I miss that freight yard and those men that sold the trees who always looked a little scary. And you are so right, the smell just isn't there, even though I cover the house with wreaths and garland also. Thank God for "Mistletoe" by Yankee Candle, it does the trick. Even though I went to St. Helena's, I only ever went to midnight mass at St. Anthony's which was actually at midnight! This year I went to the early midnight mass at 4:30, the late one was at 7:00! I know it's a sign of getting old when you're always thinking things were so much better "back in the day". Hope everyone who reads this had a wonderful Christmas and has a terrific New Year. My best Christmas present was watching Meryl Streep walk through Parkchester in the movie!!! Peace and Love... Joanne (McQueeney) Kelley
jkelley

Postby JohnTell » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:46 am

Joanne...you're so right, Midnight Mass in St. Anthony's was at times quite a <ahem> "celebration"...<;~)

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Postby regina buckley emilio » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:40 pm

finally, this site can be so irritating sometimes. anyway, hello john, merry christmas to you, Annie and the family.

The picture was really breathtaking. it seems we always went to the oval for all occasions. I remember how we couldn't wait to be old enough to get to midnight mass. always seemed special. its like we always have to watch Rudolph or Christmas Carol with Alistair Sims, that's the good one, or Bells of St. Mary whenever it's on. Its part of our traditions. Now a days everything seems to be so don't offend anyone or don't leave anyone out. they even tell the kids in school Happy Holidays, not Merry Christmas or Happy Chanakuh. I think i spelled that wrong. Geez, everyone has different religions, what is wrong with acknowledging them when they come around. Anyway, those decorations always seemed so nice, we couldn't wait to go to see them. Ricky and i will see you at the mud bowl. Regina
regina buckley emilio

Postby JohnTell » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:00 am

Regina...thank you... hope you had a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR...<:~)

Hope to see you at the MudBowl...I hear there is going be not ONE, but TWO "surprise mystery guests" in attendance this year...<;~)

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Return to Stratton Park