Dining in Lerners

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Dining in Lerners

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:09 pm

Last night we talk a walk around Metropolitan Oval to see the Christmas display. I am happy to report that it's still pretty much the same display they have had through the years, with a few additions. It was freezing cold so we had to cut our stroll short.

We walked across the street and had dinner in Uno Chicago Grill, which occupies the spot Lerners once did. I spent many, many hours in that store. I am sure most of you gals did as well! It was odd to be in there - we had a window seat which was once one of the display windows with the mannequins.

Do you remember walking up the little stairs to the large dressing room area that spanned the back of the store? The upper portion is still there. Now there are bathrooms and booths. I stopped up there to take a look around which aroused the curiosity of some of the diners. I am sure they could not imagine what I was looking at. I guess I was looking for something that does not exist anymore. It was interesting nonetheless.

Then we walked through Macy's which was a complete, disorganized mess! They need someone to straighten things up in there.

Merry Christmas all!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Re: Dining in Lerners

Postby amonti » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:58 pm

Thank you for the update, Marion. I was wondering if the oval is still decorated for Christmas. I am glad to hear that it still is! Yes, I remember going to Lerners with my mom.
amonti

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:16 pm

Adrianna, it's a pleasure to hear from you! Maybe my perspective has changed, but the old neighborhood doesn't seem to have changed nearly as much as I thought it had. Perhaps it was the Christmas display (or most likely the wine I had at dinner) but things looked pretty good when we took our stroll. Hope all is well with you and Happy New Year!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Les Sherwood » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi to all and Happy New Year to all.
I thought the picture of the OvAl was exceptional. I would love to see a picture of the Santa house at the Lowes Theartre, if I missed an earlier one.
I remEMber vividly about getting A TREE at the railroad on Tremont ave which was my job around Christmas.
oNe could could buy a great tree foR $3 and for the good haglers one could get one for $2 or maybe $1.
+ I am sure many remember seeing after a snowfall had a great time walking over to Parkchester and seeing the Oval and then the Santa house.
It was a great time.
Keep up yur great posts;I usuaLLY CHECK EvERY DAY AND i WILL TRY TO SEND A FEW INTERESRTING POStS.
pLEASE EXCUSAE MY BAD TYPING TYPING BUT i WAS usually STUDING MY OTHER COURSES AT HAYES insted practicing my typing.
aLL THE EST,
lES
Les Sherwood

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:38 pm

Les, Mike has put the word out that he would dearly love a picture of Santa's House - he's posted on various other places and appealed to others who might have a picture, but to date, that picture does not exist. Of course, many have the actual pictures of Santa but no one has come forth with any photo of the exterior of the house. Amazing, isn't it? We stood for hours on line but didn't think to take a picture.Perhaps a picture exists in an old Bronx Press Review article, so if anyone has the time to research, go for it!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Return to Stratton Park