Great Story Les!!!

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Great Story Les!!!

Postby JohnTell » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:17 am

If Balabam ever caught and grabbed me I woulda been scared s@#&less...<:~)

Being known for your speed, I know your being trapped in that alleyway is the only way Balabam coulda got you...and to actually have Balabam in your apartment you must still wake up in the middle of the night with cold sweats...

Does anyone know how Balabam came to be so feared and hated...looking back at the harrasment that man and his family endured it is pretty amazing...on hot summer nights his house was sometimes under "siege", the only thing missing were the torches and pitch forks...it seemed to be hundreds of kids(probably only a few dozen) jeering and taunting him, when Balabam would open his door everyone took off like they were running for their lives...

Years later, when Owen Purcell and John Geil owned the Beer Bar, they had Balabam, who was an electrician, do some work for them...walking in one day and seeing Balabam in his trademark overalls, for a split second it made me stop and say to myself "WHOA, IT'S BALABAM ....RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!"...

But the guy seemed pretty "normal"...he went about doing his work and it being early in the day no one broke out with any of the familiar chants that I'm sure anyone who was around inthe 60's is very familiar with...I'm guessing it woulda been a different story had it been a Friday or Saturday night...<:~)

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Re: Great Story Les!!!

Postby Les Sherwood » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:12 pm

John
Thanks.
there are some things you never forget and one of them was experiences abo ut the neighborhood like Balabam erperiences.First you hear the stories from the older guys them you experience them. He was a unique individual
among many abound the neighborhood.
But th en "there are eight million stories in the Naked City and this was one of them"
Les
Les Sherwood

Return to Stratton Park