Bronx Park-the 9th wonder of the world.

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Bronx Park-the 9th wonder of the world.

Postby Les Sherwood » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:12 pm

Bronx Park-The Ninth Wonder of the World.
Well, maybe not the ninth but you have to admit that it was/is a tremendous place.
There was great foresight in developing three great Parks in NYC: Central Park, Prospect Park and Bronx Zoo. Of cpurse the best was Bronx Park. Could you believe we live less than 2 miles away or even less?
How many times have you enjoyed Bronx Park as a youngster and maybe as a parent taking your kids to enjoy their treasures: The Farm in the Zoo: one of the best Zoological parks; The Botanical Park; the Bronx River with it boating opportunities and just the sanctuary of open woods and trails.?
It was definitely a different time; parents would let kids go to park as long as you went with friends especially if there were older kids going. We usually went in a pack and I remember going to park at age of 9-10 with friends.
Could go to waterfall and swim in the lake above the dam and one could even rent a rowboat . Even if inclined you could to go to Botanical Gardens, one of the best in the world.
We had so many adventures there.
When we were iin St Anthony could go after/recess for religious instructions for public school kids to the Park since it was so close.
We really enjoyed to lions/tigers house. It was almost as good as seeing a good movie with the roaring of the lions, etc quite scary at our young age. Or could go to the elephant compound/Polar Bars/Hippo pool.
Inevitably we get involved some mischief especially when we bought some sling shots and I have to admit that some times we were not too nice to animals and some of us tormented them. Do you have some memorable experiences at Bronx Park?
Les Sherwood

Re: Bronx Park-the 9th wonder of the world.

Postby Les Sherwood » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:49 pm

i wolld like to thank you for your imputs on my my posts.
Obviously ,it seemed to seems to me are geared to the older group who don't semed to to be interested in my input , especially to to an diminishing group.
thank you and all the best to the Cronins who haven done a great job in puting a graet website.n Hower i don't think I have not been I have no writing posrts that are are of interest to most of the regulars who read the post.
All the best.
By the way I am not giving up on the website . it is a great websie and i will respond and sent some posts. And I know that I will enjoy future posts
all the best.

Les
Les Sherwood

Re: Bronx Park-the 9th wonder of the world.

Postby Kathleen » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:08 pm

Les,

Just wanted to let you know that I love your posts...I am amazed that you remember things so clearly. I don't usually reply because I don't remember the specific instances you are referring to...(sometimes I wonder if I really did grow up in the neighborhood...I don't think I left White Plains Road too often)...but I love reading your stories.

So keep posting, I think your topics are great.

Take care.

Kathleen
Kathleen

Return to Stratton Park