Love of cars

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Love of cars

Postby Les Sherwood » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:43 pm

If you want to see some cool cars of the 50's and early 60's please note the following website:
http://www.billsretroworld.com/cars.htm

Each one was a thing of beauty and a work of art.

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible
1960 Plymouth Fury
1959 Chevrolet Impala Sport Coupe
1958 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan
1960 Lincoln Continental Mark V Four Door Landau
1957 Buick Roadmaster 2 Door Hardtop

etc, etc.

Not pictured was a 1958 Impala hardtop wh ich I could not buy.
what were your experiences with your early autos?

My first car was 1959 Oldsmobile 98 which I bought in 1964. It was a monster at 5,500 lps. but had such a large engine that you "speel out" (? spelling) from a stop. Of course I could only get 8 MPG but then gas was under $.35 a gal.
My next car was a 1964 chevy Malibu yeloow convertible which I bought in 1968. one of my favorites.

In 1971 I bought a 1959 VolksWagon camper which I rode accross the country when I finished college and quit my job to take a "sabbatical" but that is another story.
In 1971 I I went back to a full time job and bought my first new car: a Mercury capri with four on the floor but only had 2,000 CC engine. But it was quick.
How about your experiences with your early cars?
(This may have been covered in earlier post but it may be interessting you input again)
Les
Les Sherwood

Re: Love of cars

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Les, I've had many cars but my favorite was my 1970 Chrysler Newport. You could easily fit four across the front, four across the back, and the trunk was practically big enough to live in. Of course it only got about 7MPG but gas was 50cents a gallon, so who cared!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:32 pm

Les,

One of my early favorites was a midnight blue, sixty-six Mustang 2+2, with powder blue interior, that I bought from my brother, Tom. I loved that car but unfortunately I dogged it like the idiot I was.

After a late night adventure involving substances that impaired my coordination and judgement, while peeling out from a light on Bronx Park East, apparently I decided that was a good time to catch a cat nap before going home. I was rudely awoken by a front-end collision which wound up separating my transmission from my motor, crashing it through my fire wall, and depositing it inside the car with me. Miraculously I was unhurt, though the Mustang was pronounced dead at the scene. Luckily for all concerned, there were no other fatalities or injuries. Unfortunately no important lessons learned at the time either. I was a very slow learner during that phase of my life.

Eddie
Eddie Acunzo

Postby regina buckley emilio » Sat May 02, 2009 9:32 pm

my favorite car of all time is a 67 to a 69 CAMARO. when i win lotto i will find one and drive it everywhere.
regina buckley emilio

Postby Les Sherwood » Sun May 03, 2009 4:10 pm

Marion the Chrysler Newport was a big car and had a big engine but it was a "svelte" car for its size. My friend ed K. had a New Yorker, same vintage. Great car.
Regina, The Camaro of the mid to late 60's was one of th e beest. To me the 60's "muscle" and stylish cars were the best.
In tthe Sunday NYT, week in Review, they had an article on the GTO's. What a powerful and cool car it was. Unfortunately, Pontiac will be going out of business. Unbelievaable! In th e 70's Pontiac was producing 900,000 crs a year. At the end of the end of the article the writer noted that "You can't show me one exciting car after the 70's"
My girlfriend/wife-to-be had a 1969 Mustang, sky blue convertible wih a a big engine. great car, good loking but the engine was too big for the car. When it rained of in the snow it had a tendency to fish-tail. I still loved it.
we rode it a lot when we lived in VA. When we moved to CT. in 1980 we put in our garage, with me vowing to rebuild it. After 20+ years in th e Garage I finally sepearted ourselves from it and gave it to my nephew in 2004 who swore he would rebuild it. To date nothing has been done. But it would take at least $25,00 to get in pristine shape. Doubt it will be done.
Les
Les Sherwood

Return to Stratton Park