Why Do I Bother To Post Anything?

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Why Do I Bother To Post Anything?

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:50 pm

Folks,

I think we had a very unique community we grew up in at a very important time and its critical that it be documented in many ways as historic as Hell's Kitchen, Spanish Harlem, Little Italy, Bed-Stuy or any other of the neighborhoods in NYC.

I forget exactly how Les Sherwood put it, but he hit the nail right on the head in terms of mirroring the reasons I bother to post little stories from my past, even when I'm aware that they even may make me look foolish. Actually I couldn't care less about that now. That ship has sailed, as they say! Anyway, you've got to be able to laugh at yourself and view yourself with a critical eye. That's our best hope of growing, isn't it? Mistakes of my past add cultural enrichment and texture to my personal history. Especially since I've survived it and we've all been lucky enough to profit by the pressure cooker that was our neighborhood. Like Les, not only don't I want to forget any of the stories and experiences of my youth, good, bad or ugly, and believe me, there was plenty of bad and ugly. I feel its important they be documented. All of our experiences contributed to making us the people we are today. I remember as a kid the excitement I felt when I hit the streets. Every day in the neighborhood was a crapshoot, every day was a trip the bigtop circus. You had to stay on your toes on our streets, and keep your eyes open or you were liable to miss something. I can still feel that excitement when I think about those times, and I can feel it in Les and many of you. It was always obvious to all that the neighborhood had a high personality quotient; it had a constant parade of comedians, pranksters, freaks, geeks, oddballs and unique individuals. I'm not quite sure why, but our streets despite their roughness, crudeness, violence and everything bad about them were also a breeding ground for higher intelligence, very excessive creativity, flexibility and awesome survival skills. That's very obvious today, particularly through this website.

When I've rediscovered some of the people from grammar school recently, I'm amazed by the number of people who hold highly responsible or high powered positions in their daily lives. I am really amazed at the number of schoolmates who are accomplished in the arts, whether as writers, publishers, filmmakers, artists of various genres, etc. I think at much higher ratio than our humble little neighborhood would have normally spawned. Why? What do you all think?

Eddie
Eddie Acunzo

Re: Why Do I Bother To Post Anything?

Postby regina buckley emilio » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:23 pm

hey eddie, i agree with you 100%. we may have come from 'The Bronx" as so many of previous coworkers have said with terror. The mainland as my mother lovingly calls it. I believe we all have an interest in a multitude of subjects, things, the artrs, going into the city. Some people I know are afraid to let their kids go anywhere. i cant' drescribe it sometimes. My mother was one for always going somewhere. We were always in the City on the weekends. The village, central park, soho at all the street fairs, museums, arts museums. i don't know it's a cliche but it's a different world. Sad to say. Memories of who and where we grew up sustain us and our part of our backbones. We dont' take no sss ii tt. Have to run thouhg, I am off to school. Talk to you soon, regina buckley
regina buckley emilio

Postby JASRN48 » Sat May 02, 2009 10:35 am

I have to agree with you both. Living in the old neighborhood was an adventure everyday. Now when I tell people were I'm from and about the neighborhood, it almost seems magical. People just can't believe that non family have stayed in contact for so long and continue to share stories of times past. Although I don't post much , I am an avid reader of the board and enjoy every minute of my readings. I very fortunate to have Gary Hillyard as my neighbor and that always spurs more stories. My kids have heard stories about us and their dad, Pat Sullivan, that I think has shocked them. however , now they know why they can't get away with much! Keep posting as it really helps to help keep me feeling young again.

Judy (Anderson) Sullivan
JASRN48

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Sat May 02, 2009 3:19 pm

Judy,

Is your husband Pat Sullivan, older brother of Kenny (Silky) Sullivan, both raised at 1576 Taylor? If so, I knew them both and would like to send my regards, though I've probably seen neither in over forty years. Kenny and I played together as young kids, riding our bikes about the neighborhood, eating lunch in each other's houses many days, since we grew up in the same building. Pat would have been more around my brother, Tom's age, who died a few years back from diabetes.

Best wishes,

Eddie Acunzo
Eddie Acunzo

Postby JASRN48 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Eddie,

Pat was Kenny's cousin. Jerry Sullivan is Kenny's brother. Pat owed Sullivan's bar on Beach Ave. Kenny is living in NJ. I knew your bother Tom, and I'm sorry for your loss, he was a nice guy. It saddens me to think of all of our friends that have passed, but then I think of that little corner in heaven where they are all hanging out together just as they did in the neighborhood. Just shows you can't break up the old crowd!

Judy
JASRN48

Return to Stratton Park