SUMMERTIME MEMORIES

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

SUMMERTIME MEMORIES

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Sun May 31, 2009 8:41 pm

Hello old & new friends,

Once again, Summer is approaching quickly. So I thought I would ask that some of you "Readers only" would consider sharing an old summertime story. I know we have shared some great memories in the past. But we have some new members on the site. As well as some old friends, who are just way too shy to post something. this time of the year, most people are outdoors and not sitting in front of their computers. Some may still be checking this wonderful site. So don't give up. Some friends, have trouble sleeping. Or may be feeling a bit meloncholy. Maybe recovering from surgery and stuck home for the next 4 wks :roll: . So they look foward to reading the latest stories .

Some people look foward to the announcements & reunions. Perhaps, you have a funny story about being thrown in the johnnypump, as a teen. My sons, recently asked me why I call firehydrants "Johnnypumps". I don't know the answer. So perhaps, Les or one of the other senior members can explain it to me. Hope you all enjoy this lovely weather we are having. As for me, I will be off to "ROCKETTE'S TRY-OUTS", for the next few weeks. So please lets keep this wonderful site flowing. Stay safe dear friends,
Marie-Elena
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Re: SUMMERTIME MEMORIES

Postby JohnTell » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:14 am

Marie...hope you have a speedy recovery...look forward to see you tap dancing on the picnic table up in Congers...<:~)

As to the term "Johnny Pump" I believe it dates back to the old days of New York when the Firemen of the day were called "Johnnies"...hence the term Johnny Pump...<:~)

My favorite Johnny Pump was the one ifo of Harry's on Archer Street...when "Johnny" Purcell or one of the other "big guys" would open that pump it turned the corner of Archer and Taylor into an urban oasis that was better than being on any beach except maybe section 13 at Orchard Beach...<:~)

Using the can with both ends cut out to direct the stream was an acquired skill that took age and wisdom to perfect...another less skilled technique was using a a bent garbage can cover...with the cut out can you could really spray a deluge of water in any direction you wanted...<:~)

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Postby Les Sherwood » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:22 pm

Marie
Hope to see a quick,succesful recovery.
As a fireman John is the resident expert.
However when we are talking about the game, "Johnny-on-the-pony"does that mean fireman rode ponies to fires? I a m sure they did in the early days.
I did have a lot of experience in enjoying johnny pumps in the summer time. It was manna from heaven in the hot city.
All the best!
Les Sherwood

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:16 pm

Here is a memory of something I would see in the night sky. I wonder if anyone else saw it.

I lived on Leland and my windows faced Thieriot, Taylor, Beach, etc. Sometimes in the night sky I would see spotlights scanning the sky. It was quite scary when I was little and I wonder where they originated. Could they have come perhaps from Noble Field? Anyone know?
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Les Sherwood » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:25 pm

Marion
I think I remember them.
Do you remember that when the automobilecompanies introdced new model in the 0's and 60's they would have a gig promotion including hiding the models under covers until they were introduced. Also they would used various gimmicks to get the attention of potential customers.
we had a few small showrooms on near Tremont and White Plains, including a Plymouth or another Chysler product. They used large spotlights to advertise to lure new customers. I think th at what you remember.
all the best.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks, Les! You are a treasure trove of information!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Jo Rizzo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:08 pm

First Marie Elena,

Hope everything goes well with your surgery. As John said looking forward to you dancing on the tables in Congers. You'll be the lead rockette.

As far as the johnny pump, I remember walking up either Leland or Thieriot jumping over them as a kid. The only problem was there was a high one (don't remember where it was) I couldn't never jump because I was so tall!! Never did make 5 feet! 1/4 in short. My cousins on Leland were able run, put their both hands on the pump and jump over. I would get as far as putting my hands on it and kerplunk. Right into it. Oh well. we all need a good laugh. I could still see myself doing it. Would make a good slapstick clip.

Again Marie good luck with the surgery.

Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Postby regina buckley emilio » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:48 pm

hello maria-elena, sorry to hear you are under the weather. hope you recover soon. missed you at the mud bowl this year. sm aller crowd but we had a good time. i still have scars on my ankles from johnny on the pony played against the handballs courts at the top of the park. as for being half drowned in an open johnny pump that has also happened. didn't pay to change your clothes. i always loved a summer heavy rain, the gutters were filled with water. i would take off my shoes and just stand in. of course, in those days, the streets were relatively safe to walk around barefoot in. today, forget it.

spend most of my summer in 102 daytime and nighttime unless we were in teen club or just hanging out. there was always something going on, or at least something to do. Our Lady of Solace had their dances every Friday night. Battle of the Band dances. It was like a giant block party every night without having to get a permit. n o one stayed indoors. winter or summer, or for that matter any season. every hour was at the park, a baseball game, football game or a dance at st. anthony's or another school in walking distance or bus distance from the neighborhood. i feel sorry for my children some days that they don't have what we had. too much bs to watch out for. its sad really. anyway, i hope you recover soon and hope to see you at the next mud bowl. regina buckley emilio
regina buckley emilio

Postby Jo Rizzo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:54 am

Regina,

Boy the Solace dances did that bring back memories.

I've a short story for you. When I was working for the American Mayflower Life Ins. CO. every three years they were audited by the State just like any other insurance co.

During this one audit, there was one auditor by the name of Ed. Since the position I held I occassionally had to deal with the auditors. Finally one day Ed and I finally broke the ice with the classic pickup line where do I know you from. Since he grew up in the West Bronx, and myself on Thieriot we knew it wasn't school or hanging out.

One day during this audit, some one said something and lo and behold Ed and I looked at one another and said Solace dance. We hugged and started to reminese, laughing saying do you remember....or rember watching that one..... Neither one of us could live it down how two grown peope were acting like kids.

Jo Rizzo :lol:
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Postby regina buckley emilio » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:21 pm

i loved the solace dances. we couldn't wait until the day we were supposed to go get our new cards for the year. after about 2 years we got the nerve to go up in the cages. hysterical. easy to get up but oh so scary to climb down. nowadays, i spend my friday nights, on occasion, at the Hilton on Staten Island, they sort of have the same thing, except you don't have to get an I.D. card for checking everytime you attend a dance. keeps the legs in shape though. its a standard meet and greet for single adults on SI and there is no cover charge. it's all dance music so that is the best. regina
regina buckley emilio

Return to Stratton Park