THIS YEAR'S PICNIC- 2009

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

THIS YEAR'S PICNIC- 2009

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:32 am

Hello old & new Friends,

Once again, there was a wonderful picnic at Conger's lake. As usual the organizers did a wonderful job. but every body else involved also did a great job helping out. I am truly sorry, that I was not able to help out with the grilling. But Buggsy & the guys did a really great job. Look out next year. I will be standing on stronger legs & ready to grill.

There were the regulars & some new people. We ranged from ages 10 wks old to 93. I got to meet 2 women. Who happened to be the sisters, of 2 of my sister Dina's friends, Ruth & Debbie. It was a Pleasure to meet both Peggy & Vivian.

As usual Les & I talked about this site. Spoke with some people who are still having trouble getting on the this site. I informed them & will continue to tell all who read this site. Please keep trying to leave a message. Don't give up. Thank-you to all the photographers. Who snapped away, while the rest of us, caught up & shared some memories.

Hope everyone else has a great summer.
Marie-Elena
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Re: THIS YEAR'S PICNIC- 2009

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi Marie-elena and all:

Hope you had a grand time at the picnic. Couldn't come 'cause we had a previous engagement. Regards to all you Stratton Parkers who attended!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Cathy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Marion, sorry you missed the picnic. It was lots of fun. Many thanks to the Metschers who plan it every year and arrange for the use of the pavilion. Also thanks to Tommy Steed who brought the Archer Street sign. It was also a great surprise to see those North Carolina transplants, Peggy and Ray Alonso. Marie-Elena was a medical miracle, walking perfectly without the use of a walker or cane, just 5 weeks after a double knee replacement...OUCH!. A few of the guys did their best to fill in for her at the grill. Thanks guys! Jimmy and Pat Carolan's 2 year old grandson, MJ, wore everyone out with his non-stop ball throwing. What an arm! Truly unbelievable! Welcome to all the new comers, including Richard Roth and family as well as Jo Rizzo's mom who is in her 90's and was a lot of fun...a real delight. I think there were about 60 people, and it was so great to catch up with those we only see once or twice a year as well as share laughs with those we are lucky enough to see more often. Overall a great great day...even the weather cooperated. Cheers to all. Thanks for a fantastic Archer Street get-together.
Cathy

Postby JohnTell » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:23 pm

One the things I loved most about hanging out on Archer Street was all the beautiful girls... it was just like old times at the picnic yesterday...<:~)

JohnT :shock:
Attachments
024.JPG
024.JPG (130.09 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
JohnTell

Postby pgirty » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:20 am

Maria Elena it was a pleasure to see you moving around so well after surgery. I always enjoy reading your posting, and I promise to do better in replying. Patty
pgirty

Postby Les Sherwood » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 pm

John, you always had a good eye. i agree.
marie, I also am amaaxzed to see how well you moving so well after two knee ops after only 5 weeks. and you make some great sausages and peppers, as usual.
It was an enjoyable outing.
All the best.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby Jo Rizzo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:16 pm

Hey everyone,

It was fantastic to see everyone on saturday as well as using the pool for about an hour. I want to thank everyone for keeping an eye on mom. She enjoyed see everyone all grown up. She wanted to know were there this many down our basement for one of our parties? We also made it back and forth to Massachusetts yesterday in one piece.

All kidding aside, we had a great time and are looking forward to next year. Loved the picture.

Jo Rizzo :lol:
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Postby mary lamasney » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:51 pm

It was a good day - the weather and company could not have been better. It was a pleasure to mee Mrs. Rizzo - I enjoyed our conversation and her insights on Italian cooking, and the best pizza in the Bronx. Thanks Jo for sharing your Mom with us for a day.

It was great seeing Richie Roth from Taylor Avenue. He and I remembered when he used to deliver our milk to us at 1574 Beach Ave. We lived on the top floor so we got a lot of the noise from the roof You knew it was morning because of the clanging of the milk bottles. Keep well RIchie.

Thank you John Tell for the picture and I agree with your comment 100%. Mary
mary lamasney

Postby Kathleen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:02 pm

This was the first time I've been able to attend the picnic. We just happened to be up in NY for my niece's graduation party on the same day, so it worked out great and I was able to get a ride to Congers with Harry. Had a good time, and lots of laughs, visiting with Annie, Ellie, and Pat. And, of course, it's always good to see John Tell.

I think it's great that all of you keep in touch and try to get together every year. I know it means so much to a lot of people. I'm so happy I was able to make it this year.

Kathleen
Kathleen

Postby JohnTell » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:11 pm

Kathleen it was great to see you too...!!!

Still cant figure out how Harold turned into your MUCH older brother I always thought he was younger than you...<;~)

JohnTell

Postby JohnTell » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:12 am

Marie...I re-read Les's post and just now realized you are the creator of those sausage and peppers...I was eating them like they were candy...absolutley delicious...another reason why your husband is such a lucky man...<:~)

JohnTell

Postby Les Sherwood » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:58 am

Ray and Peggy
It was good talking to you.
Just a reminder: Please the advise of Heln and Jane McFadden addresses, e-mail or regular. for our 1955 class reunion.

If any others have any ideas finding missing clasmates i would appreciate it.
I know 1955 was a long time ago.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby Jimmy Carolan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 am

Many thanks to everyone who makes the picnic such a great day. It is always a pleasure to sit and reminisce with friends. I am ceased to be amazed by the bond we all have with the neigborhood and each other. When Cathy started to introduce me to Jo Rizzo, who I did recognize, Jo turned to her mom and said "look ma Anne Carolan's son". I got chills when we began to talk about our families and especially our dad's. Great stuff. Poor Dennis Meade, when he needed a jump to get his car started just his luck it was John Tell who hand jumper cables. Just more ammunition for JT in the future. A special thanks to Lauren Merendino, Alana Smythe and Joe MacCormack for duty above and beyond with our grandson MJ. I think he has a crush on the girls. All the frisbee and baseballs thrown are greatly appreciated. Good luck in SFO Lauren.

Jimmy Carolan
Jimmy Carolan

Postby JohnTell » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:42 am

Jimmy...you were partially right about the jumper cables... by the time I drove over to Mr. Meades car, the hero of the day was Dingo(pictured)...he had already given him a jump...<:~)

...but that won't stop me from using that great effort I put forward to go to waste...I will be using it in the future...at the appropriate time of course...<;~)

Attachments
033.JPG
033.JPG (139.37 KiB) Viewed 8947 times
JohnTell

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:12 am

Hello dear friends,

Have been trying to get on this site for a few wks. But was having trouble, with logging on. As you can see. It didn't stop me. So please don't let it stop you either. Have also been on "facebook", alot lately. Feel like i am cheating on this website. Need to get a life! But my legs are still a bit shaky.
Am I the only person, having trouble believing, it's almost August already?

To John T., re: my sausage & peppers receipe.
1. the best sausage. S & D Pork store, Crosby Ave, Bx, N.Y.
2. cook sausage 1st. then fry onions & peppers in the grease. I am sure I can heart a lot of cardio-doctors,cringing at this. Sorry.
3. having a mom, who was a great cook (besides a wonderful seamstress). to teach me how to love cooking. so i cook them with a pinch of love. I am so glad you enjoyed them!

In the past few years, i have had the thrill of helping, working the grill, at the Conger's lake Picnic.(Sorry to say, this year, i wasn't able to pitch in) There are reasons why i enjoy it so much. !st of all. I get to see more people than anyone else , at the picnic. without walking around. 2nd, it reminds me, of my childhood. Every summer at the Paino's home (1543 Beach ave) there were weekly bbq's. it may not have been the biggest backyard. but we always had 2 grills going. (not gas or electric either) My mom & my Aunt Marge (Paino) did most of the grilling. There were the parents, in the back. The teens & young people on the side of the house. The little kids sat under the porch & away from the on going traffic. There was also the annual "A & P" picnics. Which we went via caravan style. So i learned a long time ago about grilling for large groups. To me, it was some of my happiest childhood memories, growing up. I see people now come home from bbq's & picnics. but they always look tired & annoyed. Instead of it being such a "project". They should think of it, as a wonderful day, shared w/ family & friends. Remember that the next time, you are walking out the door. With cooler & chairs, in hand!
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Next

Return to Stratton Park