Sam's Candy Store

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Sam's Candy Store

Postby pgirty » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:07 pm

I would love to hear stories about Sam's Candy Store. Centrally located on the corner of Taylor and Archer - it was the center of the action.

I know Sam's personality was somewhat lacking but in spite of that he had a thriving businss, thanks to all the cigarette smokers, newspaper readers, comic book browsers and all of us kids' insatiable appetitie for candy and soda.

Please share any of your Sam stories or any stores about his children, HymIe, Simka and Mulka?

Does anyone know if Sam was a Holocaust survivor which would certainly explain his morose take on life.
pgirty

Re: Sam's Candy Store

Postby JohnTell » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:18 pm

Patty I dont remember Sam having a son named Hymie...I remember Shimon but the only Hymie I knew was the Upholstery store owner next to Spotless...

JohnT
JohnTell

Postby Les Sherwood » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Pat
when was Sam opened.
I only remember gelman's at archer and Taylor.
Of couse of older th an most who goes on ths great site.
All the best.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby claire scanlon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:09 pm

Sam had the # tatoos on his arm.I remember thurston and pellit pulling a few tricks on him!!
claire scanlon

Postby JohnTell » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:34 am

Les...Sam bought the candy store from Harry and Estelle...I would say about '67 or '68 give or take a few years...

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Postby Les Sherwood » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:35 pm

John
Thanks. you should write a book on the neighborhood with all knowledge you have in your brain.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby JohnTell » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:44 pm

Les, I could write a book about all the stuff I dont know...LOL...I get all my info from Jimmy Carolan...<;~)

JohnTell

Postby Jo Rizzo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I also remember Minnie's on Archer between Thieriot and Leland. Her husband was Sam also. For some strange reason, I remember this as Sams. Could it be that they split and he bought the store on Taylor and Archer? I do remember that Candy store but for the life of me can't remember who owned it.

:?:

Thanks,

Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:56 pm

Hello Jo & all my other Stratton Park Buddies,

Sam's Candy store on Archer street was a regular spot for our family. my mom had an arguement w/ minnie. So we weren't allowed in there (feared my mom's radar) Sam had a wife. who was just as miserable as he was.He use to say that he was married to her "since the beginning of time". I always thought that was so romantic, when I was a kid. Maybe he meant it sarcastically. She use to watch us, by the cards & gift wrapping, left side of the store. If Sam was busy at the counter. I could practically swear,the b'day cards & other cards were there from when the store opened, long before Sam purchased it. Do miss the old fashioned egg creams. May have to go visit my old & dear friend, Todd Frenchman. Who makes 1 great egg cream...
Stay safe dear friends...
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby mary lamasney » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Sam was a survivor of the Holocaust. He went through the camps and was scarred from it. He lived in the coops and had three children - Malka, Shimon and the little girl Simca. His mother in law worked in thestore and sat in the back observing. It was not a good setting for him because initially there was the transference issues - the previous owner Harry Gelman was quite a beloved character and then of course Sam's experiences during the war. He was a shattered man who was rude and distrustful. There was no education provided to the local kids as to what he had gone through. Soon a cycle of negative back and forth between him and the neighborhood developed - it ebbed and flowed but there was always an angry undercurrent when you went into the store.

I remember when my father was shot in 1969. He had alwyas been abrupt and short but he spent a few minutes expressing concern for my father and it surprised how nice he could be.

I regret that there was no chance to go back and tell Sam I am sorry that I did not do more to make life easier for him. I hope that he had a peaceful life after he gave up the store and had some happy times with his children and their children. Mary Lamasney
mary lamasney

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:53 pm

Mary, that was nicely written and a reminder that we really don't know what someone has been through unless we have walked in their shoes.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Les Sherwood » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:08 pm

mary/Maureen.
I agree wholeheartly.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby Cathy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:33 pm

I liked Sam. While in retrospect he may not have come off as the warmest person in the world, I didn't seem to notice too much at the time. Betty Kelly and I would have breakfast of a beverage and pretzel each morning before heading off to the Q44 bus stop for our trip to St Helena's High School. And of course it was a regular meeting place that most of us visited a few times a day.

This is my favorite personal story about Sam. Once the leg our our coffee table at home got loose and my mom asked me to get some glue from Sam's. I was 17 and I remember Sam looking at me funny when I ordered it. As he handed it to me in a brown paper bag, he looked me right in the eye and wanted me to confirm that it was something I was bringing home to my mom. He warned me that he would ask my mom about it the next time he saw her. I thought it was kind of weird but on my way home remembered hearing about "glue sniffing" and realized that he was looking out for me. Of course, there was nothing to worry about, but to this day I appreciate his concern.
Cathy

Postby JohnTell » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:38 am

Cathy...my memory of Sam is not as "warm" as yours...<:~(

Sam had myself and Jimmy Carolan "arrested"for a broken store front window...the real culprit was Tommy Heckler(no worries Tom the statute of limitations has run out)...when the cops showed up Sam immediately fingered the two dopey "innocents" who didn't have enough sense to run away like everyone else...<:~)

Ask Jimmy about it I'm sure he recalls the details more accurately than I do...I do remember the desk Sergeant at the 43rd chastising the two cops who brought us in; "I got a homicide in the back WTF are you guys bringing in here"...I appreciated that friendly exchange a bit more a few years later when i was "on the job"...<:~)

Sam faced with swearing out a complaint recanted his accusation "I no say these two boys do it"...and the two embarrassed cops were quite happy to set us free...justice prevailed...<:~)

JohnTell

Postby pgirty » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:51 pm

John - I laughed out loud reading about your "arrest". Thanks for that.
pgirty

Next

Return to Stratton Park