Police Presence on Archer Street

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Police Presence on Archer Street

Postby pgirty » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:59 pm

John and Jimmy's arrest made me wonder about the police presence on Archer Street. I personally do not remember ever seeing any policemen around. Of course I was a very good kid. Was there a beat cop assigned to our neighborhood?
pgirty

Re: Police Presence on Archer Street

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:23 am

Maybe my memory is fuzzy but I don't ever remember seeing a cop in our neighborhood - not one. I did get a ticket for double parking on Leland Avenue in 1979. Obviously, they were driving around but can't every recall any on foot.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby james kelly » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:04 am

I remember seeing a foot cop at least twice in the 60's. Why he was there he wouldn't say but I do remember myself, Danny Tufanisco and Freddy Celli walking along with him between WPR and Leland on Archer. I also remember looking at the ground and saying to the others "what do you know, he does have flat feet". With that he asked us to get lost which we did.

The next time I remember a foot cop was in the mid-60's when I was working in Charlies and Howies aka Jacks. I recall it was only on Friday and Saturday nights and it only lasted about a month. Now. why they were there I have no idea.
james kelly

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:57 pm

Jim,

That cop was probably there to keep an eye on you, Danny, & Freddy....I think you guys were the hooligans of White Plains Road (at least you and Freddy). Remember how we used to call across the alley to Freddy from our kitchen window?

Your memory is a lot better than mine. I have to depend on John Tell to write stories about our class, I really can't remember much of anything!!

Take care,

Kathleen
Kathleen

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:53 pm

Hello Old & New Friends,
It's been a while. I don't remember any beat cops in our neighborhood, either. I don't remember
cops cruising around much, when I was a kid. Only on the 4th of July. Which my mom swore, it was to steal the neighborhood kids fireworks, for themselves ( the cops). Unless a crime had been commited. We hardly saw the Police, growing up. Maybe it was because: "In our neighborhood". We took care of situations, on our own. Or at least the Young men "on the block" or in the neighborhood took care of things. I remember when heroin in the late 60's,early 70's. Was becoming a problem. Even then we didn't see many police, walking or driving around. If you did see a cop car, it was a big deal. Even your mom would know before you got home.If there were cops or an ambulance on the block. And why too, without ever leaving the house. Apartment buildings "talk", was faster than the internet is today. So I agree, we didn't see really too much Police presence. Take care & be safe,
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby regina buckley emilio » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:14 pm

the only cop i remember seeing on a regular basis was eddie mahoney, and that's becuse he lived at 1527 Taylor. Nice guy, still around lives upstate now. good friends of my moms. anyway, that's the extent of whta i remember of police presence n the neighborhoold. if they were around, it really had to be bad. hell, we didn't even see them when we had all thoe bashes at noble field. no one really bothered us. i guess as long we weren't making a lot of trouble it was okay. now my kids are lucky they can sit in the park after 6, they come around and throw you out. as they say the times they have changed. hope everyone enjoyed this gorgeous day. my son won h is football game, the jets, well, and dallas, my god i almost went through the screen. my son, who is a giant fan, is happy. i guess that makes everything all right with the world. ffffff romo. sorry i am a die hard dallas fan and don't take defeat lightly. especally when they were winning all game, and gave it up in the last quarter, just pisses me off. good night all.
regina buckley emilio

Postby Les Sherwood » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:13 pm

regina
I am sorry to tell you that Eddie Mahoney died in JUly of 09.
I send out the reminders on our Archer Boy luncheons and recently I received a note from eddie's wife that Ed died after fighting cancer for 2+ years.
I agree that Ed was a very nice guy.
Ed was about 5 years older than but but I knew him as I lived in 1523 Taylor.
His wife asked me to raise a glass of good spirit in rememberance of Ed who always enjoyed the luncheons.. i will gladly do that and I will raise another toast for ed Sparks who died last week.
All the best.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby fshields » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:28 am

Les Sherwood:
Do you know what happened to Eddie Sparks brother Joe Sparks? I tried to find him a couple of years ago but was unable to. I also knew Eddie Mahoney very well but this was all over 50 years ago.
I also lived in 1523 and knew your mother and father. I knew who you were but probably never talked with you. Some weeks ago I wrote a note on this board listing all the names of people I remebered from Taylor Avenue by building. Both Eddie and Joe were on that list.
Frank Shields (Rusty)
fshields

Postby Les Sherwood » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:56 am

Rusty
As a kid i knew you well from a younger guy's perspective.
You were always to nice to the kids in 1523.
You lived n the 2nd floor, middle aparment on left.
i knew you sister, Brenda? and your mother and fath er.
On Monday I went to the funeral of ed Sparks. He had hepatitis.
I did not see Joe at funeral but I understand he was at wake.
If you need any more info please note my e-mail-lessherwood@comcast.net.
my sister Joanie is doing well as well is my brother Robert.
regards,
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby beth » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:58 pm

I remember there was a foot patrol officer around in the very early 60's we called him stretch, he was very tall and thin, thus his nickname. I think we were very fresh to him. Wise mouth teenagers and considering he had a gun, not too smart. I also remeber another cop telling me to put out a cigarette when I was about 15, i told him no but when he glared at me I put it out. If he had taken me home my parents would have hung me on the line.
beth

Return to Stratton Park