Womwraths and other stores

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Womwraths and other stores

Postby MaureenBo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:40 am

I was just reading through the archive and saw someone mentioned a bookstore across from Macy's called Womwraths. This is bringing back a strong memory of the name but I can not picture the store. Where exactly was it? Was it near the Lowes American or more near Woolworths or where?

There was a store further down the street which was a stationery store that sold stickers in the front area in racks -- anyone remember that store or what it was called?

And there was a restaurant down even further on the side of Macy's like before you got to Zarro's Bread Basket and I think I only ate there once or twice but I remember it was sooo dark inside. What was that restuarant's name?

Thanks!
I went to St. Anthony's School from 1977 through 1984. (Teachers: Miss Fair, Miss Andrea, Miss DeRosa, Miss Casey, Miss Caulfield, Miss Kanarski, Sister Kevin.) Lived at 1534 Beach until April 1990.
MaureenBo

Re: Womwraths and other stores

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 pm

Maureen, Womrath's was on Metropolitan Avenue next to the "Waldorf." I think the Waldorf became Liberty Travel which is probably how you remember it. (I'm older than you!) There was also another Womrath's on Metropolitan Avenue past the oval if you were heading in the direction of Purdy Street.

I may have posted previously that the owner of the Womrath's near Macy's thought every kid was juvenile delinquent and fiercely followed us around the store like were were going to commit armed robbery or something!

The restaurant you are referring to is most likely the Hamburger Express, now called the Step in Bar and Grill.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Re: Womwraths and other stores

Postby Jo Rizzo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:56 pm

I think the Step-In was a little darker then the Hamburger Express. But it was fun when the Hamburger Express was there - if you sat at the counter your food was delivered by the train. How many times the waitress weren't listening for the whistle and was serving a customer at the counter and the train came right around and hit her arm! Marion, I think we must be around the same age since I remember both places (Waldorf also). Liberty travel is not there any more. It's now a Starbucks. Liberty Travel is now on top of where Woolworths use to be. (Woolworth's (at least the last time I was in Parkchester)) is a baby store.

Jo
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Return to Stratton Park