Sister Catherine

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Sister Catherine

Postby MaureenBo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Whatever happened to Sister Catherine? I have so many memories of her (mainly bad, unfortunately) and she used to call me "Funny face" -- I don't really know why since I have a pretty non funny face but still. Anyone know her story, how she came to St Anthony's and when she left, where she went etc.?

I remember her as being a bit short, having short white hair, ringing her bell in the lunchroom, having pretty stern and piercing eyes (blue I think), wearing a blue skirt and blue vest a lot, and being a Sister of Charity (which I kinda disagreed with due to some things I witnessed).

What are your memories of Sister Catherine?
I went to St. Anthony's School from 1977 through 1984. (Teachers: Miss Fair, Miss Andrea, Miss DeRosa, Miss Casey, Miss Caulfield, Miss Kanarski, Sister Kevin.) Lived at 1534 Beach until April 1990.
MaureenBo

Re: Sister Catherine

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:37 pm

Maureen, Sister Catherine died several years ago. Here is her obit from Catholic New York:

Sister Catherine Mulvey, S.C.
who served for 34 years at St. Anthony's on Commonwealth Avenue in the Bronx, primarily as principal and assistant principal of the parish school and later as co-director of religious education, died on Aug. 31 at St. Joseph's Medical Center in Yonkers. She was 84. She was principal of St. Anthony's from 1965 to 1968 and again from 1972 to 1997, when she became co-director of religious education in the parish, a post she would hold for three years. She also served as assistant principal, 1968-1970, and as a catechist, 2000-2001. She also taught at St. Ann's, Yonkers, 1963-1965; St. Ignatius Loyola, Manhattan, 1957-1963; St. Joseph's Academy, Manhattan, 1944-1957; and at a school in Queens. Born in Manhattan, she entered the Sisters of Charity of New York in 1942 and made final vows in 1948. She was formerly known as Sister Terence Mary. She held a bachelor's degree in history from the College of Mount St. Vincent and a master's in education from Boston College. She is survived by a sister, Theresa Fazio. A Funeral Mass was offered Sept. 3 at Mary the Queen Convent in Yonkers. Burial was in St. Joseph's Cemetery in Yonkers.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Return to Stratton Park