Parkchester Reunion

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Parkchester Reunion

Postby Les Sherwood » Mon May 17, 2010 10:30 am

Hi Parchester guy.
How was the Parchester reunion?
regards
Les
Les Sherwood

Re: Parkchester Reunion

Postby Parkchester Guy » Sat May 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi Les,

I didn't make it, but, from the few reports I received, good time had by all.

The DVD was excellent - shown in the Loew's American - and the organization of the day was also excellent. Behind the Loew's in the South Oval, 4 large tents were set up - St Ray's, St Helenas, PS106, and PS102. I think a lot of the older folks showed up, walked around a bit, watched the movie, and then re-assembled in one of the restaurant/saloons in the Neck.

Of the several pictures posted here and there on the Internet, I didn't recognize a soul, although several of my classmates at St. Raymond's had registered. 50-60 years is a long time since last seen.

You might find this interesting -- Parkchester, in our day, was just Parkchester. Now "Parkchester" includes Archer St neighborhood and the Zerega section at the other end. Hard to think of Archer St (or Zerega) as Parkchester. I think it's for real estate purposes, and maybe some voting zoning thing. Not sure.

One positive note - everyone who commented said that the place looked wonderful. That's a tribute to the current tenants who formed a preservation group in the 90's, raised a few hundred million of public and private money, upgraded the place, and got rid of most of the low-lifes and drug pushers who had almost ruined the place.

Parkchester, like your neighborhood, was a great place to grow up.
Parkchester Guy

Re: Parkchester Reunion

Postby Jo Rizzo » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:29 am

If you go to Parkchester.com, they have pictures posted. I'm really sorry that I didn't change my plans and go. Really was a nice day and looks like all had a grand time.

Yes, the new management and the tenants organization is really doing a good job. According to some reports I heard, Parkchester is on the come back and on the up and up. Let's hope so!!!

Cheers,

Jo :(
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Return to Stratton Park