Bronx River Drownings

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Bronx River Drownings

Postby Les Sherwood » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:42 pm

I was reading an article in the NYT about two teenagers who drowned in the Bx River over by the Falls in the front of the park. It was a very hot day and a bunch of teenagers went to the park to cool off and were swimming by the falls.
As youngsters how many times we and friends went to park and played around the falls and swam when it was hot. As you recall the water was pretty dirty and I am sure it didn't get any cleaner.
We had a lot a lot adventures as youngsters in the park some including renting te rowboats.
i remember one "adventure" we had swimmming the river up stream by the rocks where you dive into the water. Of course we were swimming "au natural". A cop came by and went after us. We got out of the water and starting running away carrying our clothes and laughing so hard we could hardly run. Or course we could run like a deer and no one would catch us.
Tomorow i am having a dinner at Rory Dolan's in Yonkers with a few of of my old friends. We will talk about many of our advetures like this one. We tend to repeat our stories but we still laugh as much as we did when it happeded. this one more than 50 yers ago. and and there will be a few of us who actually were there on this adventure.
i feel sad for the kids died who died and for their friends and families.
however i couldn't not but recall about our adventures in the park, lucky most of ours were happy ones and not tragic.
All the best.
Les
Les Sherwood

Re: Bronx River Drownings

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Les, I remember several drownings there when I was a kid. Unfortunately, some things never change. Kids who don't know how to swim or underestimate the depth are going to get into trouble.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:14 am

Les and Marion,

I used to swim in the Bronx River as well as a kid (among other bodies of water in the Bronx), and have a vivid recollection of a Jesus impersonation there. I thought I was prepared for most things that could occur, but I was mistaken as usual.

I had a beautiful day, a nice spot and a good vantage point of both banks, so little opportunity for surprise (I thought). I had a few friends for security, and a good pair a sneakers on in case of broken bottles on the river bottom. I was having a great time horsing around in the water. Someone started nudging against me in the water. I pushed him off and continued to horseplay. He nudged against me more aggressively, really annoying me this time. So I spun around to give voice to my annoyance and was eyeball to eyeball with a big water rat!

That was my first attempt to walk on water, or should I say run. My legs must have windmilled like a comic strip character. It was also my last swim in Bronx River. I might have fudged my cut-off jeans too, I'm not sure about that part. Don't tell anybody.

Eddie
Eddie Acunzo

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:23 pm

Too funny, Eddie!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Return to Stratton Park