St. Anthony's

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

St. Anthony's

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Hello Old & New Friends,

It's been a while since i have posted anything. But my husband Rich just informed me about something he read in today's Daily News. That St Anthony's School will be closing. 1st i hear that P.S. 102 is going. Now St Anthony's...pretty soon there won't be anything left in the old neighborhood for us to associate with... but what do you expect. when you have a myaor who hires a publisher to run the Dept of Ed. who's kids went to private boarding schools...Why should the mayor care about our local schools. Public or Catholic>>>>>>>
Marie-Elena (Ferracano)
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Re: St. Anthony's

Postby Jo Rizzo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:37 pm

There is another St. Anthony's in the Bronx - over at 204 Street. The article in the Post said St. Anthony-St. Francis could it be that one since our St Anthony's does not list it as mention above but as St Anthony of Van Nest? Did the News give the address? :cry:
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Fear not! Our. St. Anthony's is not closing. The school that is closing is listed on the Archdiocesan website as St. Anthony's - St. Frances. This school was created in 2008 after the merger of St. Anthony's and St. Frances of Rome. Sorry for them - but good for us.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Jo Rizzo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks Marion. Thought it was the one that merged with St. Francis of Rome but wasn't sure. I agree with you, even though I didn't go to St. Anthony's I still have a of memories it and of all my friends that went there.I remember a few years back a friend of mine (who went to St. Anthony's) - was teaching in one of the Catholic School closing back then- mentioned our St. Anthony's was self sufficent due to the foresight and know how of the principle at that time. Don't know if it is the same principle. If I remember correctly, they had received some funding for the headstart program and may still be in existance.

Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Jo, If I'm not mistaken, they have had the same principal for almost 20 years. She must know what she is doing!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Jo Rizzo » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:10 pm

Must have been half asleep when I spelled principal wrong. Shows what happens when you went to 102. Only joking. No matter where I went, I wouldn't be able to spell. As for the mention of the funding for the headstart program, I was still living on Thieriot at the time, don't remember where I heard it from but was glad that they started the program. It really did help.
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Return to Stratton Park