Woolworth's in Parkchester

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Woolworth's in Parkchester

Postby info » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:52 pm

I don't remember the year, but in the 1970's Woolworths got a makeover. They added basement space, as well as added the lunch counter.(I don't remember if they had the lunch counter before the makeover.)

I liked walking past Woolworths and getting the "greasy spoon" smell! Plus anything you needed could be purchased there!
Attachments
woolworth menu.jpg
Woolworth's Menu from 60's
woolworth menu.jpg (77.45 KiB) Viewed 11422 times
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strattonpark.com
info
Site Admin

Re: Woolworth's in Parkchester

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm

I remember very well the old Woolworth's. I spent a lot of time there with my mom. There was a counter section , before the renovation. you climbed onto seats, to reach the counter. Mom would brag that I started eating an entire Banana Split at the age of 3.It was on the right hand side of the store. I also remember the balloons on a string, over the counter. When you ordered a banana split, you picked out a balloon. The waitress would break the balloon & what ever price was inside, the balloon. That's what you paid for the banana split. anywhere from 1 cent to 59 cents. Then it went to 89 cents. I never got it cheap. My sister once had a friend who got it for a penny. Otherwise I would have never believed there were any "penny" balloons. My mom bribed me(banana splits) to go to Woolworth's with her. Their "sewing supplies' section was cheaper than macy's acroos the stree. Also they had a lot of sewing notions (thread, trim, needles & etc) so aftermom spent, what seemed like hours in the sewing section. I would get my banana split. we would get a bag of freshly made popcorn for the walk back home to Beach ave.They had 3 entrances into the store. Before they built the staircase to go downstairs was the make-up counter. At the end of the store was clothing & sneakers. Mom would buy my "skippys" for gym class. right by that entance, was where the counter selling pretzels & ice cream waffled sandwiches w/ neopolitian (vanilla,choc & strawberry) ice cream only. Of course after eating a banana split, i would never think about getting a ice cream sandwich! It was where we purchased all of my school supplies. We did a lot of Christmas shopping there too. We never got actual "food" there, until I was much older. We would have a B.L.T.
You never had anything with mayonaise or cooked in oil. Because mom said You don't know how long they keep certain food products. If I close my eyes, I can remember the old Woolworth's, as if i was just there.
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby Linda Hall » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi Marion,Marie and the circle of Stratton Park friends...I hope you all are well!!! Marie I have to say you have some memory...I did not remember if the counter was there or not but after reading your post I seem to see it not being there first...You have a gift there my memory is not as good...I do not remember the baloon thing...I wish I did but I do remember the hot waffles and ice cream, yummy... Marion I do however remember the basement and what I remember most about it is that it had a section for birds,(parakeets)...During the process of making my post it was lost and I was also curious about the amount of entrances and exits...If I recall now one was on the theatre side and the other two in the front? Not exactly sure but seems right...I also remember at halloween the costumes and most all those things you mentioned Marie...I found myself with a smile walking thru the store as you depicted it...What I never will forget was finding a spot to park and back then the meter was a dime,huh...Dem there were da good ole days :wink:
Linda Hall

Postby Rich Burrell » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:58 pm

The lunch counter was there long before the 1970's. It was always at the left end of the store as you entered from Metropolitan Ave. In addition to the two entrances on Met., and 2 or 3 on East Ave, there was an entrance on the corner of Metropolitan Ave. and Parkchester Road ( or was it officially still Wood Ave. at that point?) The menu shown in the accompanying posting is probably from the early or mid-50's or even the 1940's , considering the prices.
Rich Burrell

Postby pconcilio » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:25 pm

You're right Rich. I went there is the 50's and 60's and it was there. They did have good burgers. I also remember they had a downstairs if I'm not mistaken.
Do you remember there was a lady who worked there forever, she had silver grey hair (teased up) who was strick in there. Always watched the kids roaming in there.
Saw her about twelve years ago at a friend house. Can't remember her name though.
By the way are you related to Marion Burrell?
pconcilio

Postby Jo Rizzo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:47 am

I remember the first time Woolworth was open on a Sunday. I know I was still living on Thieriot and for some reason I was walking around Parkchester. It was possibly late 80's or early 90's (more than likely the 80's) and this was only suppose to be for the holiday season. If I recall correctly, none of the other stores (outside of the deli's and candy stores)were doing that yet, it was the four Sundays leading up to Christmas. SO it could have taken in one or two Sundays in November depending what day of the week Christmas fell. I had to call home and tell Mom come meet me at Woolsworths so that we can shop on SUNDAY!!! :) To think, now it's the norm.
Jo Rizzo
Jo Rizzo

Return to Stratton Park