St. Anthony's Closing

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

St. Anthony's Closing

Postby Richard_of_Danbury » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:51 pm

I just read today that the Archdiocese is closing St. Anthony's as well as Blessed Sacrament on "the other side of the highway". Is this is our school?
Richard_of_Danbury

Re: St. Anthony's Closing

Postby Les Sherwood » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:34 pm

yes. That is true is slated to be closed, but there is appeal process that we will use to counter the closing.
we have a committwe to present our case.
To be effective we need many as possible former parishioners to get involed. We are using our book, "Ed Stack's Legacy to the Rams and archer St.", t o provide donations to St Anthony. So far we have sent $750 and plan to another $750 shortly to St. While this is not a lot it is a start and advise that the archdiocese that there many fomer parishioners that we are working are trying to help St. anthony to be more solvent wit scholarships etc to help ot. All donations will be sent to donations in name of Ed stack.
please it you want to help please send a donation.
I wrote the book and so far we distributed 180 copies.
I will send you a copy to you if you provide your address and ask you for a donation or help with contacting friends. We have to hurry because of the appeals process.
If you are not sure if you want to involved I can only say that I lived in the neighborhod for 33 years, I loved growing up on Archer St. went to St anthony's then went Cardinal hayes. I say this this i would never do anthing against St anthony's
and we have a committe trying to help out. are we are assured we will prevail? no, but we will do our best to help to forestall this action and hopefully to change it. But as I said before we need actions from former parishiones and do it quickly.
Hopefull we can count on you and others.
Thank you for your consideration. Please contact your friends. Please if are nervous about donations about sending donaations to me, please to fr.Miara, the current pastor.
My bother died last week ago and was his funeral mass was st anthony.
I was also woked on on 100 anniversary commitee for the 2008 reunion. I hope yu were ther. I also organize the Archer Boy luncheons and try to go to annual picnics in Congers, Ny yoor and the the Mud Bowl party the week after the Super Bowl.
Les Sherwood (lesssherwood@comcast.net)
31 church Lane Madison, CT 06443
Les Sherwood

Postby Richard_of_Danbury » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:42 pm

Les,

As an alum of both St. Anthony's and Cardinal Hayes, class of '71, I'm greatly distressed at the closings, as well as, the conditions of the Catholic Church which has caused this. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to help at this time, but will keep you in our prayers.

Richard of Danbury, (CT)
Richard_of_Danbury

Postby Les Sherwood » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:30 am

Richard
We have recently heard the decision to close St. Anthony along with 37(yes total of closing) was signed off by the Cardinal so it definitive. Yes it is depressingesp since so much money was spent to defend lawsuits due to priests' probem with abusing children and not thinking of the welfars of the abused children. yes i am am angry with the actions of the archdiocese? yes I am. But I don't think we can do anything to change it. I knew too many good priests at St anthony and Cardinalo Hayes to know the church is still good and the bad priests and the coverup were the works by by weak people.
But we are meeting with the new pastor of St. anthony'y to get more information and see if we can do anything.
If you want a copy of our book; "Ed stack's Legacy to Rams and Archer St." I will send you a copy no charge, if you provide me with your street address. I think it a good tribute to Ed' good works over many years and it is a good story of a very succesful team and a unique neighborhood.
All the best.
Les Sherwood(lessherwood@comcast.net)
31 church lane, Madison Ct, 06443
Les Sherwood

Postby MaureenBo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Any news on this?
I went to St. Anthony's School from 1977 through 1984. (Teachers: Miss Fair, Miss Andrea, Miss DeRosa, Miss Casey, Miss Caulfield, Miss Kanarski, Sister Kevin.) Lived at 1534 Beach until April 1990.
MaureenBo

Return to Stratton Park