St. Anthony's , Mansion Street, possible closure

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

St. Anthony's , Mansion Street, possible closure

Postby tayloravegirl » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:27 pm

I was very saddened to hear that St. Anthony's might be closing? It got me to thinking about my favorite memory of St. Anthony's....there are quite a few. Does anyone else have any memories of St. Anthony's? :?:
Taylor Avenue #1
tayloravegirl

Re: St. Anthony's , Mansion Street, possible closure

Postby Les Sherwood » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi
It is ggod to see someone entering posts.
Re. anthony,s we inluded some memotries of our book, "Ed Stack's legacy to Rams and Archer Street".
If you wish a copy email me.
We are doing a 2nd edition in a few months and we incude more memories of St. Anthony.
But please keep in mind that we have a coommitte working to avoid the closing. we are awaiting for final decision.
Les (lessherwood@comcast.net)
Les Sherwood

Re: St. Anthony's , Mansion Street, possible closure

Postby MaureenBo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi Les,

Can you tell me a little more about the book -- is it a collection of memories of the neighborhood?

Also -- do you still need donations? Will it help any, you think? I can't imagine the Catholic Church not having enough money to fund St Anthony's honestly. It's one of those things that has always bothered me...I visited the touring exhibit "Treasures of the Vatican" and saw all the jewel encrusted items and gold everywhere. All I could think was how many mouths all those things could feed and how many lives they could save or better rather than sit behind glass, sparkling uselessly. Golly sometimes I wonder if sight has been lost that Jesus was all about giving and we're supposed to store up our "treasures" in HEAVEN, not on earth.

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I went to St. Anthony's School from 1977 through 1984. (Teachers: Miss Fair, Miss Andrea, Miss DeRosa, Miss Casey, Miss Caulfield, Miss Kanarski, Sister Kevin.) Lived at 1534 Beach until April 1990.
MaureenBo

Return to Stratton Park