Filming of DOUBT at St. Anthony's this week!

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Re: Filming of DOUBT at St. Anthony's this week!

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 am

Meryl Steep is a fantastic actress. I never realized how talented she was until I saw "The Devil Wears Prada" on TV over the weekend. I can honestly say I wanted to smack her across the face in the role. I will be seeing "Doubt" this weekend and can't wait to see what sort of emotion she will elicit.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Les Sherwood » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:51 am

John Tell said it best: "M Streep played the role of Sister Anita( or who you rememember as the principal) so great th at it was errie."
Enjoy the movie.
I was talking to a friend yesterday who did not have a background in Catholiic schools, and he said th e actors/actresses were great and he especially liked the role of the mother of the student who may have been abused.
Les
Les Sherwood

Postby Les Sherwood » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:14 am

Recently we had some good discussions on “Doubt” and other good movies.
I just watched “The Apartment” (1960) on TCM with Jack Lemmon, Shirely Maclaine, Robert? Murray, one of my favorite movies growing up in the neighborhood. I think I saw it at Lowes Paradise. I would put it in one of the 10 best prior to 1973 when I moved out of SP. What were some of your favorites?
It seems there has been a slow start in new posts on our website.
As one of my belated New Year’s resolutions is to input more posts on website. I know that I am not one of the good writers of posts but I think I can present some ideas that others will add to them. Hopefully. maybe this will help engender more input. My motivation is not altruistic. It is more a selfish one as I enjoy reading stories about the neighborhood and I think we have a great medium to present the many untold good stories.

Ten Posts I plan to input.:
1. Favorite Movies
2. My Balabam story-
3. Where I learned to swim?
4. Adventures on subways
5. Experiences with cars
6. Altar Boys/Fr Scully
7. Toughest guy in neighborhood
8. Trivia Questions-20
9. Archer Rams
10-Bronx Park-my perspective-9th Wonder of World

Hope fully I can do this in the next few weeks as I have some in the formative stages.
Les Sherwood

Postby Les Sherwood » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:16 pm

Hi
I am having a little problem in inputing a new post, therefore i am attaching one to another post.

A year or two there were some posts written about Balabam. I have to admit that I was one of his tormentors who enjoyed his reactions of our tormenting of him. This is one of my stories about him.
The time frames was in early 1950’s and I was in 6th or 7th class at St Anthony’s. The picture on website of bus stopped by candy store and Sylvania’s Bike store on Tremont reminded me of Joe M and I being off school on a snowy Tuesday afternoon for religious instruction for public school kids.
We were building an arsenal of snow balls on roof facing Tremont to throw at buses and scare the passengers which usually resulted in some good laughs. Then we saw Balabam’s electrical truck coming toward us from Theriot Ave. and couldn’t resist, and bombarded him. However after being hit by snowballs, he slammed on brakes and saw us and turned around his truck and started to go to Beach Ave. We ran across the roof and jumped on to big ledge and started to run down the hill to street but he was already pulling up in front of lots and getting out of car. We panicked and ran to back of lots but there nowhere to go as there was high wall and only the dead-end small alley in back. We decided to go in alley and hide. Next thing we saw him in front of alley, when I think we peed in our pants when we realized that we were trapped. All we could do was yell as he grabbed both of us and stared to carry us out to the lots. Lucky he slipped on snowy ground and we bolted down the hill and out on to Beach and made a beeline to our apartments on Taylor. Meanwhile he got back in his truck and was following us as we went down Guerlain St. We looked back at Taylor Ave and we saw him gaining on us. Joe got to 1535 first. I was alone as he pulled up to 1523 as I bolted up the stairs to our 2nd floor apartment. As I crashed through door and saw my mother in kitchen and told her that there was a “crazy man” chasing me, as I ran through the foyer/living room and into the bedroom and hid under the big bed. Next thing I know Balabam was telling my mother that what we did almost causing an accident on Tremont. Meanwhile I was yelling to my mother that “don’t let him in the house, he is crazy.” However, my mother was taking him through the living room and she wanted me to apologize him. She would not listen “that the man was crazy” and insisted that I apologize. Of course I had to do what my mother said and I apologized.
Balabam seemed to be a nice man as he talked to my mother. Was it possible that he was not crazy and maybe he was not that bad? I had a hard time to accept that since all the stories I heard and many I participated in tormenting this poor man. In retrospect he may been off center a bit and I understand he saw a lot of action in the first war.
Les Sherwood

Postby JohnTell » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:56 pm

Hey Les I posted a response under a new topic...<:~)

JohnT :shock:
JohnTell

Postby lhshield » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:59 pm

As for the uniform question - I attended St Anthony's from 1963 - 1966. We wore brown jumpers with tan blouses (peter pan collars) and brown brouges. What horrible shoes those were. I had tranfered from Holy Family and I thought the world had ended when I had to get those shoes.
lhshield

Previous

Return to Stratton Park