Filming of DOUBT at St. Anthony's this week!

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Filming of DOUBT at St. Anthony's this week!

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Hope all you current Bronxites saw the Bronx insert of today's Daily News. Full page spread and article about the filming of the movie Doubt at St. Anthony's this week.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:15 pm

hello marion & other special friends,

i, too saw the daily news article, this morning. i tried to post a question i had about one of the pictures. in the daily news today, they showed various actors who are in the movie. one picture has some kids, in winter coats & st anthony's uniforms. they looked pretty authentic. except a few of the girls were wearing saddle shoes. even though i did not go to st. anthonys. i don't recall any girls wearing saddle shoes, unless it was cheer leader practice or competition. my mom was a seamstress, who made cheerleader outfits, for st anthonys. why this caught my attention and is bothering me. i don't know. maybe it's because i'm home & bored. not by choice, doctor's orders. i would have liked to have gone to the giant's parade instead. but if any young lady who went to st. athony's during the 1960's, can answer my question. i would really appreciate it. it doesn't have to be posted on the site. you can tell me saturday at the mudbowl. or email me. after all a lady never tells her age. hope to see some of you saturday. stay safe old & new friends,
marie
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby matt keenan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:11 pm

Hello Marion: Thanks for the info. Here's a strange coincidence. I actually bought the Daily News for 2-5-08 but never looked at it. In fact I very rarely buy the Daily News since I get get almost everything on-line. I bought the paper to send it to my Brother who lives in Alaska. He's a NY Giant Fan and since he didn't see the game and wouldn't get a feel for what is happenning from the Alaskan tabloids, I was ready to send the paper off without even looking at it. I checked it out and thanks a bunch.

Marie-Elena: I can understand your being upset but don't do so. I suppose the saddle shoes signified a representation of the era and not a duplication of the St. Anthony uniform. In fact, if the movie goes by the play script, the school is called St. Nicholas. Also, the actual classroom scenes were filmed at a Lutheran grammar school in the Bronx and the indoor church scenes were filmed at a chapel at Mt. St. Vincent Colege in Riverdale. But isn't it great that John brought our old neighborhood onto the big screen. Can't wait to see the award winning "Doubt" on the silver screen, it's a great story that has been performed all over the United States and Europe. Have a good day. Love, Peace and Happiness, Matt Keenan
matt keenan

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:04 pm

marie-elena - I am a "young lady" of a certain age, so I can tell you that no saddle shoes were seen at St. Anthony's in the 1960s. My first uniform was a brown jumper with a brown beanie and I'm guessing the shoes were brown as well. We were instructed to purchase all school shoes at Tell's Shoes at Westchester Square. In the later grades the uniform changed to a plaid and I remember a green sweater as well. I am pretty sure we wore black shoes with that ensemble.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:00 pm

HELLO MARION, MATTY & ALL MY OTHER BUDDIES,

THANKS FOR ANSWERING MY QUESTION. I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS ODD, WHEN I LOOKED AT THE PICTURE.
MOST OF MY GIRLFFRIENDS, GROWING UP, WERE ST ANTHONY'S STUDENTS. I GUESS BEING HOME RECOVERING FROM A REACTION TO A MEDICAL TREATMENT, I'VE BECOME BORED. SO THATS WHY I NOTICED THE SADDLE SHOES.
I'M SURE THE MOVIE WILL BE WONDERFUL. I DIDN'T GET TO SEE THE PLAY. BUT I HEARD IT WAS GREAT.
ITS SO NICE THAT WE HAVE A NEW TOPIC TO TALK ABOUT AND SOMETHING POSTIVE, TOO. HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT DAY. AM LOOKING FOWARD TO SEEING MOST OF YOU ON SATURDAY AT THE MUDBOWL. WITH OR WITHOUT MY CANE, I WILL BE THERE!

FIELD TRIP!!!

Postby Lydia58 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:17 pm

My sister's friend was driving around the old neighborhood last week and she saw the movie set for Doubt. She said it was incredible, looked just like the old days. Does anyone know if it's still up? Did somebody say "field trip?"
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby info » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:26 pm

Some photos of the production are posted in the photos page. Included are pics of the "schoolchildren" and a Nun in the old-fashioned habit. :)
info
Site Admin

Postby jkelley » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:30 pm

It was either 1964 or 65 when I begged my parents for a pair of saddle shoes, so I know they came back into style at around that time. I went to St. Helena's and would have been either in fifth or sixth grade. I remember it well because we didn't have a lot of money and it was rare for me to get something that wasn't strictly necessary. I have a vivid memory of coming home from school and my mother handing me the box. I wore them out.
jkelley

I am New To This Message Board

Postby Debra Jean » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:55 pm

I went to St. Anthonys in the 70's we wore grey hush puppies we had to purchase up on Westchester Square
You Can Take The Girl Out Of The Bronx
But You Can't Take The Bronx Out Of The Girl!
Debra Jean

Postby Laura » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:04 pm

Just reading through some of the posts and I am flat out amazed that DOUBT was filmed at St. Anthony's. I wonder if that was by the author's choice? A few years ago, I'd read that Mr. Shanley had attended St. Anthony's and emailed him -- turns out he was leaving as I was arriving. Still, a really nice guy. I love that he also wrote Joe and the Volcano.
Laura

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:31 pm

Laura,

It was surprising given the subject matter that they rolled out the welcome mat. It was an amazing sight to see, although the interior shots were filmed elsewhere. John Shanley is an interesting guy who has participated in many of our recent reunion activities. Looking forward to seeing the move.

Hope all is well with you.

Marion
Marion Farrell Cronin

Re: Filming of DOUBT at St. Anthony's this week!

Postby MaureenBo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:19 pm

I went to St. Anthony's in the 70's/80's and also wore the green plaid uniform with the green knee socks and green sweater with the grey suede hush puppies. In the 80's I remember they switched to I think some blue shoes. Remember the old gym uniform with the "bloomers"? All green? They changed it to a ringer T (white shirt with blue ring around neck and sleeves) and these polyester blue shorts. I hated them!

I'd LOVE to get those Hush Puppies again.
I went to St. Anthony's School from 1977 through 1984. (Teachers: Miss Fair, Miss Andrea, Miss DeRosa, Miss Casey, Miss Caulfield, Miss Kanarski, Sister Kevin.) Lived at 1534 Beach until April 1990.
MaureenBo

Postby Lydia58 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:24 pm

Matt Keenan,
I just saw Doubt yesterday. I noticed you wrote that the classroom scenes were filmed at a Lutheran grammar school in The Bronx. Do you happen to know which one? I attended Trinity Lutheran on Watson Ave in Castle Hill. Just curious. Thanks.
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby Danelle » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:28 pm

Hi - My name is Danelle Battista 1963 - We wore saddle shoes up to I think at least 3rd grade. I remember having to polish them.
Danelle

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:06 pm

Hello Danelle/D.D.

Welcome to the Stratton Park site. Have never seen any postings from you before. Want to thank-you for informing us, about the "saddle shoes".Since our families, go way back. I am sure, that your mom (if not your grandma Tessie) made your keep those saddle shoes spotless! I posted something last February, re: the saddleshoes. No one was certain about this. Until now. I hope that all is well by you? Please give my regards to Dia, Joe & Benett.
Sincerely, Marie-Elena

Next

Return to Stratton Park