White Plains Road Business Trivia

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Postby Linda Hall » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:30 am

To Eddie I have to make a correction for you.The ladies fur place was a dry cleaners and a place that stored fur coats in the summer.I cannot remember the name for you but what about the rest of the blocks there were other stores down towards the Cross Bronx.
Linda Hall

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:16 am

I stand corrected Miss Linda...Eddie
Eddie Acunzo

Postby bronxbombertoo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:22 am

WPRd b/tw Trem/Guer........Thomas' Pharmacy, Playdrome Bowling Alley side entrance.............and around the corner---the Fabulous Oscar's Appetizing and Carmine's Shoe Repair....
bronxbombertoo

Postby bronxbombertoo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:22 am

WPRd b/tw Trem/Guer........Thomas' Pharmacy, Playdrome Bowling Alley side entrance.............and around the corner---the Fabulous Oscar's Appetizing and Carmine's Shoe Repair....
bronxbombertoo

White Plains Road today

Postby Luis Vazquez » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:31 pm

If you go to google.com and then go to google maps, they now have a feature called "street view" where you can get an on-the-street looksee of the major streets such as White Plains Rd, Tremont, Unionport Rd. Its pretty amazing.

When did they take out the Carvel?
Twas Ever Thus
Luis Vazquez

correction

Postby Luis Vazquez » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:34 am

I meant to say Metropolitan Ave, not Unionport Rd in the last post. Looks like eventually google will have a street view for all of New York City. For now they have all of Manhattan, and the main thoroughfares in the Bronx, Bklyn, Queens.
Twas Ever Thus
Luis Vazquez

Across from the Playdrome, on Guerlain.....

Postby Freddy C » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:10 am

...the name of the bar was originally Finnegan's. Later it was McElroy's. Georgie Hess was the day bartender for both owners. He used to walk back and forth to the parkchester train station every day, rain or shine, sleet or snow. My Dad was the night man there for a while when it was Finnegan's. The McElroy's opened the kitchen. Mrs. McElroy would bake a fresh ham and roast a turkey daily. You could get a sandwich with homemade potato salad, and a beer for three bucks. It was a favorite lunch spot for the local Con Ed and NY Telephone workers. Is it still there today? If so, what name does it go by?
Freddy C

Postby Judy S » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:17 pm

I think the Irish pub was called McElroy's and the diner was the Parkchester Cafe. Dose that ring a bell with anyone?
Judy S

Postby Tom Anderson » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:49 pm

Judy

I'm surprised that you or anyone else remembered the women's store Kemnar. Remember Millie Cammilio working there?

ps sorry i missed your call the other night....hot, huh!!!! :lol:
Tom Anderson

Postby Tom Anderson » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:51 pm

Judy

I'm surprised that you or anyone else didn't remember the women's store Kemnar. Remember Millie Cammilio working there?

ps sorry i missed your call the other night....hot, huh!!!! :lol:
Tom Anderson

Postby Tom Anderson » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:54 pm

this is why I don't post very much, either my grammar is wrong and i catch it too late :?

BUT usually as anybody who knows me would say, it takes a while for my brain, mouth and fingers to get in sync :lol:
Tom Anderson

Previous

Return to Stratton Park