Aaaah Summer

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:08 am

Stoop (stup) ball was always a good way to occupy your time if there was nobody else around.
Marion Farrell Cronin

curb ball

Postby Luis Vazquez » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:21 pm

Curb ball, another variation on stoop ball?

Single, double, triple, HOME RUN!!!

I heard that ENDLESSLY during summer daze.

Went to day-camp at St Raymonds in '67 and '68, long drives to Jones Beach, or short hops on the Pelham line to the end, and then a bus ride to Orchard Beach. Mmmmm, sunburn.
Twas Ever Thus
Luis Vazquez

Hi Marion

Postby Luis Vazquez » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:27 pm

Marion Farrell, weren't we in the same class in St Anthony's? Up to Mr Duff in 5th grade, thats when my family moved to Staten Island. I think you were one of the smarter kids ;)

1st grade: Sister Frederick
2nd grade: Miss Cutillo
3rd grade: Mrs Greco
Don't remember the 4th grade teacher's name, but it was a younger woman, not a nun.

Sorry, didn't mean to deviate from summer memories...
Twas Ever Thus
Luis Vazquez

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:17 pm

Hi Luis - what a blast from the past - I do remember your name although I can't quite picture what you looked like. Miss Ulyssse was our fourth grade teacher but left before the school year was over and I don't remember who filled in for her for the remainder of the year. Thank you also for your kind comment about my learning prowess - these days when I can barely remember what 2 + 2 equals - it's nice to know there was a time when I could actually retain information for more than a nanosecond. Hope to see you at the St. Anthony's reunions!
Marion Farrell Cronin

Miss Ulysse(s)

Postby Luis Vazquez » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:45 pm

Oh yeah, Miss Ulysse(s)!!! I don't remember the replacement either.

I do have a photo of me and my brother Joey in St. Anthony uniforms, which I should post - when I get to it...

Its only been, what, 40 years??? Ugh, how time flies.

Have a wonderful summer, and yes, if I can make it to a St. Anthony reunion, I will.
Twas Ever Thus
Luis Vazquez

Aaaah Summer

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:55 am

hey julie,
i recall playing red lite/green lite & giant step in front of 1574 with you. those 1st floor neighbors,must have hated us. some how for a little girl,you could take some mighty big giant steps.
so i always made sure i threw 1 in for you. or you would claim i was cheating & wanting your sister lisa, my best friend to win. i remember sue loved to order us to do "babysteps" or ballerina twirls.
we did build some crazy forts in the lots. do you also remember michael butler's dad helping us build go-carts? i have seen the guerlain st side of your old building.what a steep hill.what were we thinking? how we use to race down that hill. do you or maybe 1 of the others that we grew up with remember where we use to rest,after our bike races? yes life was so wonderful back then. i don' t remember any of us ever wanting to grow up. how i miss playing till the street lite went on, or my mom stopped sewing by the window. how lisa & i would go to 102 park,to play in the "showers" put our towels under the slides.cause that rubber mat would be so hot & burn our feet.(who ever had the idea to put black rubber mats in playgrounds,was not the brightest) there was always a long line to the water fountain.why i don't know,cause we were getting "showered" by the same water! we never thought to drink that water. or who would sacrifice their "towel to clog the drain,so we could "swim" in 3 inches of water. when we made a min-pool,until some mom of a toddler would complain! thanks for the memories. have a great summer. hope to see (julie) you soon.
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby Julie (Luciano) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:35 pm

Hi Marie-Elena,
I'm sorry I didn't make it to the Congers reunion. We had to go to New Jersey for a BBQ for my twin nephews' 6th birthday (and their little sister's birthday too- born 2years and 3 days later). I know Lisa also wanted to make it but she had to take her daughter to her new college for a math placement test.

I don't know where exactly you're thinking about where we rested after the bike races. I know we spent alot of time on the statues at 1574 (and the gardens there). We also used to go into the basement where it was always dark and cool. (I know I also spent time in the basement/bike storage room looking for kittens since there always seemed to be some new litter).

I do remember Mr Butler helping with the go carts. It was so nice of him considering he had enough of his own kids to watxh out for!

As for the giant steps - I'm sure my sister would say that my giant steps matched my giant mouth :) And I think Sue liked to give those ballerina twirls in thoe hopes that we would get dizzy :oops:

Nick & I just got back from vacation in South Carolina - hopefully between birthday and graduation parties I'll get to see you soon! And let me know the resting place you were thinking of.
Julie
Julie (Luciano)

Aaaah Summer

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:03 pm

Hi Julie,
hope you had a great vacation? don't you have a birthday coming around too? the spot i was thinking about was behind the little green house. On the Taylor ave. side. It was suppose to be their driveway.there was a slight incline. we would sit there after racing down Guerlain & speeding around Taylor. sometimes your sister Lisa & i would sit there for hours
(or what seemed like hours) Mostly chatting away typical girl stuff. i believe it was the only way we got from our mother's watchful eyes. Ralph,Kenny, Todd, Sue & i talked about it, when we got together in Feb. But Lisa & i liked that spot the most.
To me, the best way of cooling off, other than running to 102 park & going in the "showers" was an ice-cream from Stevie. Yes we did try sitting in the hallway of 1574. But one of the tenants,usually chased us out. the kids on the street where i live, play stick ball or frisbee. but not the same wonderful games we did. i tried to teach some of my son's friends a few years back. but if they weren't violent or had a super hero, the guys weren't interested. These kids don't know what their missing. How i miss hearing someone yelling, "RED LIGHT,GREEN LIGHT, 123". see you soon.
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby lisa luciano » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:12 pm

Hi Marie-Elena and Julie,
I hope you guys are enjoying your summer. All the talk of our childhood games brings back great memories. Marie, I do remember our spot to sit and chat and yes Julie your giant mouth matched your giant steps but I love you anyway. I remember how we all made the forts in the lots and even hung out on the roof tops of some of the building. That was quite a hard thing for me as I have a terrible fear of heights. One of my most vivd memories was when my genius brother- Alfred, decided to zoom down the ramp that led to the basement of 1574. I think he was on a bike or big wheel, however he didn't give any thought to stopping at the end of the ramp. Unluckily for him the rusty metal steps at the end of the ramp which led to Taylor Ave stopped him. After that we made one of our frequent trips to Jacobi ER. The nurses there knew my mom by her first name thanks to Alfred and Julie. Have a Great Summer All!!
lisa luciano

Previous

Return to Stratton Park