WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT.......................

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

WAS JUST THINKING ABOUT.......................

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:25 pm

Hello Old & New Friends,
I was just thinking about how many times, I try to remind myself to call an old friend. Or maybe send an email. what about the old fashion way, send a card or letter in the mail. We often think about someone & never call that person. Maybe a song comes on the radio, while your driving. Or you come across some old photos. We have not had a new topic on this site for a long time. So i am hoping to open up a new topic. How many old friends have you been in touch with, because of this site? Or maybe made a few new friends? Maybe after reading this message, you will dig up your old address book and call that friend. Lets be honest here. One of the main reasons, why we all come on thi site, is to hear from old friends & neighbors.
I noticed that 1,539 people viewed the poll re: stevie -mr softee. Sometimes I will see only 4 or 5 comments for a topic. But there will be over 600 viewers. Why do we wait, until it's too late to talk to an old friend? The St. Anthony's anniversary is just around the corner. But some of our friends will not be attending. Or why try & find that old friend, you use to hang out with. Maybe you can get together, a day before the reunion. There will be a lot of old friends & neighbors at this reunion. It will be almost impossible to talk to everyone you see. So why not start now? i have found a lot of my old & dearest friends. Today, i was in contact with someone i knew growing up. Kevin Leddy from thieriot Ave.
it was great to exchange photos and chat a bit. maybe we should have a contest about this. someone you haven't spoke with in 10, 20, 30 or more years. why do we wait til we go to a funeral before we start getting in touch with those who meant so much to us?
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby Cathy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:12 am

Marie-Elena,

You are so right. There are always people with whom we've shared a friendship and whom we've lost touch with over the years. This website has certainly helped to reacquaint us with some neighborhood people who were either old friends of ours or people we've known as being part of the "older" or "younger" crowds. Hopefully the reunion will further serve to bring some old friends together again. I know I am looking forward to seeing some people with whom I've lost touch. Again I ask that those of you who intend to come, to please sign up early. Not only does this help us to plan...but people who sign up will serve to encourage others to join in. Thanks to those many early birds who have already gotten their tickets. Please urge your friends to follow suit...and reach out to others who might not be as aware of the event. Our Outreach Committee has worked hard to get the word out about all of the weekend events and the Journal. Letters have gone to over 400 parishes asking that a notice be placed in their Sunday bulletins . We want to make sure we get word out to those who may not have been in close touch with old Archer Street friends for a while. Mike Cronin has done a fantastic job in establishing a great online system for ordering tickets with your credit card and has placed the link on the opening page of this website. Also, particularly as the events come closer, we may be looking for additional volunteers. If you have an interest in volunteering you can also do that via this website (ST ANTHONY REUNION and then CONTACT). Thanks to all of those who have already thrown their hats in.

Looking forward to seeing you all in May.

Cheers,

Cathy Merendino (cath458@aol.com)
Cathy

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:16 pm

Dear Friends,
Please do not give up on this site. I have been hearing from some friends, that they can't get on. I have been having some trouble too. But if you just persevere, you can get on this site. I have repeatedly stated how important this site is to a lot of people. Not just to the faithful "writers"! But to all of those who just read all the messages. Some people just don't have the confidence to post a message. I have spoken to a few people, who claim they can't spell too well. Or their use of punctuation may be wrong. Who cares. Many times i have posted messages without proofreading them. No one judges here. There have been a few people that this site has helped. Maybe they are going thru a rough time. It's amazing how a message from a total stranger, can bring back familiar memories. How many of us, have found some peace and closure. When you have lost a family member. this site has pulled me through some rough nights. No it's not a therapy session or a chat room. This site is where a bunch of people can share some memories and maybe, find an old friend. Not only have i found most of my childhood friends. But i have made some wonderful new friends. I have been so blessed to have these special people, come into my life. I'm sure, i am not the only person, who has made new friends. Somebody out there want to share? Also our "webmaster", Mike has worked so diligently to keep the STRATTONPARK memories alive. How can we not keep this site flowing. Yes, the St. Anthony's reunion will be wonderful, for those who can attend. But there are some, who can not make it. So post a few words and help us keep flowing.

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 pm

Dear Friends,
Please do not give up on this site. I have been hearing from some friends, that they can't get on. I have been having some trouble too. But if you just persevere, you can get on this site. I have repeatedly stated how important this site is to a lot of people. Not just to the faithful "writers"! But to all of those who just read all the messages. Some people just don't have the confidence to post a message. I have spoken to a few people, who claim they can't spell too well. Or their use of punctuation may be wrong. Who cares. Many times i have posted messages without proofreading them. No one judges here. There have been a few people that this site has helped. Maybe they are going thru a rough time. It's amazing how a message from a total stranger, can bring back familiar memories. How many of us, have found some peace and closure. When you have lost a family member. this site has pulled me through some rough nights. No it's not a therapy session or a chat room. This site is where a bunch of people can share some memories and maybe, find an old friend. Not only have i found most of my childhood friends. But i have made some wonderful new friends. I have been so blessed to have these special people, come into my life. I'm sure, i am not the only person, who has made new friends. Somebody out there want to share? Also our "webmaster", Mike has worked so diligently to keep the STRATTONPARK memories alive. How can we not keep this site flowing. Yes, the St. Anthony's reunion will be wonderful, for those who can attend. But there are some, who can not make it. So post a few words and help us keep flowing.

Postby regina buckley emilio » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:10 pm

okay, well that one did not work. short and sweet, ricky and I had a ball at the Mud Bowl and look forward to seeing everyone at the anniversary. love to all Regina and Ricky Buckley.
regina buckley emilio

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:44 am

Hi All :D

I for one would not be happy to loose this message board and the contact it gives to old and new friends. I really enjoyed last years mudbowl which Fred and I were able to make. Unfortunately living so far away it is a struggle to attend a lot of the get togethers. I am truly hoping we will make the St. Anthony's reunion but because of family issues, distance and time needed for travel right now that is a difficult decision to make would love to be there. I really enjoyed seeing people I haven't seen for almost 30 years. HOORAY! For Johnny Shanley making it big - am really looking forward to his movies coming out "Doubt". We were able to make his play on broadway and I am especially excited to see some of our neighborhood people (who went to the filming as extras) become MOVIE STARS :lol: I did get to see the pictures of the preliminary shoots and it was fun and brought back lots of old memories. We tried to make this years mudbowl but it was just impossible. Lots going on here in the family some good some bad and all of it time consuming. Virginia got hit with that flu bad and it seemed like our family was slammed. My Mom (83) was the last to have it and I am happy to say all are well and I am hoping it is over now. We had a beautiful warm sunny day on Monday (before the storm and cold weather today) I decided to clean windows and open the doors and let some fresh air through the house. :lol: I think that was a bad idea as the evening hit I found out I must have cleaned out a mosquito nest and they were very HUNGRY :x I am going to try to get into this years mudbowl pictures now and just wanted to say HI TO EVERYONE AND DON'T LET THIS WEBSITE FAIL..... DROP A LINE JUST TO SAY A GENERAL HELLO - You never know who you will spur on to do the same and you may have a blast from the past with someone you have forgotten about or not thought of for a long time. ARCHER STREET I am finding out is sorta like a spare family. When you start talking with people you haven't seen or heard from in years others get involved who you least expected to hear from. So basically this forum is great for meeting old and new friends and it has a lot of mystery about it and if you are like me and have CRS :lol: it is lots of fun trying to put and old face with an old name and seeing the face again in todays time is so nice. I can't get over how true the saying is that states "I have become my Mother or Father" BECAUSE
guys I think we all do just that :lol: My best to you all and am so glad to be back in touch with so many old friends. HAVE A GREAT ST. PATTY's DAY (BEHAVE :P Only my best wishes to all and come on lets see some action on this message board.
Regards and Best To all Always,

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

E-Mailing is a great way to stay in touch with old friends

Postby Lydia58 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:17 pm

I agree. If it weren't for the internet & this site, I would never have found so many old friends. Marie, I have to admit, I thought about you for years and was so, so happy to finally get back in touch with you. I really do make an effort to stay in touch with old friends and the internet has made is so convenient. I love it! I have to admit though, I did like the old message board better. For some reason fewer people are participating with this new message board.
Lydia Beatty-Cottiers
Lydia58

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:56 am

Hi All:

Just wanted to start out by wishing everyone "Easter Blessing to you and your family's"...

Lydia it is so true about the internet and I must also agree (being a novice with computers) this website is a little bit harder to access and use but I hope over time it will become as easy as the old one. :wink:

To quote an old tune and change it a little "Come on People Now Smile on your brother everybody get together and get back in touch with one another RIGHT NOW!"
:P
Regards and Best To all Always,

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:41 pm

Marie Elena

I haven't been very faithful about checking this site very often lately, but I agree with you and must give credit where credit is due. Thru this site I've re-established contact with old neighbors like the Pesce, Werner and Annastasio families that I hadn't heard from in thirty-five years, and re-acquainted with many, many childhood friends such as Kenny Steininger, Michael Durkin, Tommy Kerschner, Louie Corrado (through his cousin), John Tell, and countless more. Some of these people I hadn't spoken to in forty years. We've shared memories that I thought were forever lost in my mind, that included lots and lots of laughs, and even a few tears. And I've even made some good new friends such as yourself and Linda Hall. For a while there I was posting quite a bit, but I drew back because I did not want to be a hog. Like yourself, I wish more would participate. From my conversations with many friends from the old neighborhood I know that many watch and enjoy the memories shared on this website but they continue to have bitterness in there hearts over some of the unpleasant things that happened when we were kids amongst each other, so they will not participate. Personally that could never prevent me from laying claim to my birthright to Stratton Park. That makes my bloodties to it even stronger, even unbreakable. I don't care who ever lives in that neighborhood. As long as I live, Taylor Avenue between Tremont and the Xross Bronx is mine! Too much happened there in my life, and it meant too much to me and made me who I am...even the bad stuff. Eddie Acunzo
Eddie Acunzo

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:45 pm

Eddie, it is distressing that some people won't post on here because of things that happened 35 or 40 years ago! From my perspective, I hope some of the "rabble rousers" from my era show up at the reunion. They certainly made life a little more colorful way back when and I would be interested to see if if their larger than life personalities brought them success in life.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:25 pm

Marion

Can you give me an E-mail address to which I can send you a private message?

Eddie Acunzo
Eddie Acunzo

Return to Stratton Park