Very Old Choir Practice Trivia (Rated R, V)

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Very Old Choir Practice Trivia (Rated R, V)

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:55 pm

Here's one that will tax the memories of all of the old timer Choir folks:

Now this one happened during the 50's, since my brother Tom graduated St. Anthony in 1960.

What are the initials, or first name and last initial of the choir boy who stabbed Tom in the choir loft during choir practice?

He had been terrorizing the choir for weeks sticking them with pins, then pencils, a compass, then finally a knive, for which I believe he got expelled and sent to Spofford.
Eddie Acunzo

Postby Rich Burrell » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:15 pm

Ed: I didn't know Tom had been stabbed, but it's surprising that Miss Casey, the organist couldn't subdue the offender with one of the famous lugies she often produced during mass. That must have been the only pipe organ with a built-in spitoon-or a floor drain. I remember serving at a wedding when it was the Latin Mass (pre-'65) during which she sounded like a breathing tube was being removed from her in the ICU.

I myself was banned from the choir-a horrible voice. In fact, in the 3rd grade play I was moved to the back so Msgr. Scully wouldn't be harmed by it. He actually died about a year later.

I got on the bad side of Mrs. Murowski. During our "music lesson" in Sr. Cornelius' class, she was yelling at the class about our bad behavior-guess we were sick of singing about a mule named Sal on the Erie ~~. She said that the kids at St. Dominic's were perfect ladies and gentlemen,never talking out of turn. For some reason, something inside me forced me to comment that that was the case because the kids at St. Dominic's didn't speak English. I was sent to Sr. Laboure and had to write one of those 500 word essays-early shades of Bart Simpson.
Rich Burrell

choir boy

Postby Tom Anderson » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:47 pm

for some reason the name Albie K seems to jump out as the "perp"
Tom Anderson

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:05 pm

A music related story - courtesy of my mother - Alice Farrell, who succeeded Mrs. Murowski as music teacher. In the late 70s my mother was teaching the eighth grade and using that book "Music in the Air" - the one that also contained the Erie ~~ song. There was a song in the book called "Old Man Tucker."
She could not get the rowdy and bored eight graders to sing anything - except for Old Man Tucker - they clamored for it every time.

My mother was a true innocent who was delighted that the kids finally wanted to sing - until she was told by the teacher to stop playing the song - because the kids were not singing Old Man "Tucker" - but that other word that rhymes with Tucker. She was mortified, but now that she was on to them, she never let them get away with anything close to that ever again.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:13 pm

Tom

I think you are right. When I went to visit Tom when he was sick in October somehow we touched on that story and he told me that one time he was shopping somewhere up there in the New Windsor /Newbergh area in a big department. He looked a couple of isles over and who was standing there, but Albie. Said he didn't know whether to kill him or forgive him but instead he just walked out.

When the stabbing itself happened, my father wanted to kill him.

What a strange place to get stabbed?
Eddie Acunzo

Singing "The Continental Soldier" in school

Postby Rich Burrell » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:44 pm

Marion: your great story about Old Man Tucker brings to mind the following:
Do your ears hang low, do they wobble to and fro, can you tie 'em in a knot, can you tie 'em in a bow ?
Can you throw 'em over your shoulder like the Continental soldier, do you eeeaaars hang low?

Sr. Jean in 1st grade in 1958 taught us that song and it wasn't long before most of the boys in the class substituted another male anatomical feature for "ears". This feature also came in a two-piece set and the thought of tying knots or bows could send chills down your spine. Somehow, we must have mastered the stage whisper, because we never were caught.
Rich Burrell

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:12 pm

Rich, good for you for not getting caught! In retrospect, the goofy things we did were not all that bad compared to what goes on in schools today. I guess it's natural for kids to want to "push the envelope."
Marion Farrell Cronin

I didn't stab anybody, but...

Postby Luis Vazquez » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:17 am

I do remember Mrs Murowski. She gave me the inspiration to sing when she told me I had a good voice. Back then (1965-1968) I was a soprano. To me, singing was the only enjoyable part of going to mass at St. Anthony's.

In fact I still sing whenever I get the opportunity. Sometimes I'll do karaoke, sometimes I'll rewrite lyrics to pop songs.

Latest example can be found on google ~~ or youtube: Pandemic Flu Song

Corny, yes, but sometimes silliness makes life interesting.
Twas Ever Thus
Luis Vazquez

I didn't stab anybody, but...

Postby Luis Vazquez » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:18 am

I do remember Mrs Murowski. She gave me the inspiration to sing when she told me I had a good voice. Back then (1965-1968) I was a soprano. To me, singing was the only enjoyable part of going to mass at St. Anthony's.

In fact I still sing whenever I get the opportunity. Sometimes I'll do karaoke, sometimes I'll rewrite lyrics to pop songs.

Latest example can be found on google ~~ or youtube: Pandemic Flu Song

Corny, yes, but sometimes silliness makes life interesting.
Twas Ever Thus
Luis Vazquez

Postby Marion Farrell Cronin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:20 pm

Luis, do you remember that kid Ralph Marrero in our class who had a pretty good voice. He would sing solos at assembly. I remember in particular him singing "Born Free." Sadly, he passed away in a car accident a few years ago.
Marion Farrell Cronin

Ralph Marrero

Postby Luis Vazquez » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:14 pm

Name rings a bell, Marion, but I don't remember specifically. I notice his photo isn't in the St. Anthony class of '72 either. Tragic though, the circumstances of his death, and driving anywhere is so dangerous anymore.

The kids I particularly do remember from our class were: Patrick O' Sullivan, Steven Gregory, the twin girls (Una and ???), Ellen Giorgio, Angela Di Paola, Margaret Schwind, you, a guy named Len, and a few others. I was all of 10 yrs old when I moved away to Staten Island.
Twas Ever Thus
Luis Vazquez

Chior Stabbing

Postby bronxbombertoo » Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:34 pm

Wasn't it Mrs. Keane who first noticed this abnormal behavior and recommended counseling?

I believe there was an attempted stabbing, but little or no puncture.

The offender was R. W.
bronxbombertoo

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:24 am

Gotta correct you on this one. My brother Tom Acunzo was stabbed in the thigh with a knife during choir practice and it took several stitches to close the wound. It happened in the late fifties because he graduated in 1960
Eddie Acunzo

Postby tayloravegirl » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:01 pm

I was in the choir when Mrs. Murowski was in charge. She was a lovely woman. Almost everyone in my class wanted to join the choir because we all got out of the last hour of class because of choir practice. The one girl who stood out in my time in the choir, 76-80, was Lindy Merryshow. She had a fantastic voice. I also remember Mrs. Alice Farrell taking over from Mrs. Murowski. I also remember that some of my friends and I would go to her house to ask her to play us some music on her piano. It was great because she had the word books at her house and we would follow along. I remember her as being a very gracious, kind and friendly lady.
Taylor Avenue #1
tayloravegirl

Return to Stratton Park