Jake's Candy Store

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Jake's Candy Store

Postby pjnbarb » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Does anyone here remember Jake's Candy Store? This message is from Paul Jacobs, youngest son of "Jake", and who has lost touch completely with everyone from the neighborhood. I'd love to hear from anyone that I might have known and who remembers either me or my brother George or my sister Rita.

Please say hi!
pjnbarb

I remeber Jakes like it was yesterday

Postby bob5915 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:10 am

Hi Paul: I remember everything about Jakes, accross from Saint Anthony's on the corner of St. Lawrence Ave and Mansion Street. Jake was a great guy and very good to the kids. I remember the penny candies and the sodas sitting in the cold water in the old soda cases, I beleive it was called mission sodas and was five cents. My mom who is now in her 80's and knew Jake back to the world war 2 days.
Jake was part of our growing up in stratton Park and is part of that history. Paul check back on this site as Jake comes into the conversation from time to time. Nice talking to you.
Regards, Robert Roth
bob5915

Re: Jake's Candy Store

Postby Laura.G. » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:57 pm

[quote="pjnbarb"]Does anyone here remember Jake's Candy Store? This message is from Paul Jacobs, youngest son of "Jake", and who has lost touch completely with everyone from the neighborhood. I'd love to hear from anyone that I might have known and who remembers either me or my brother George or my sister Rita.

Please say hi![/quote]

My gosh....*Paulie*..My Mom [she was/is Veronica-Taffe-Erickson-Gismondi] always uses that name when she speaks about you...she said that the 2 of you had a crush on each other....she speaks of these memories often....I also spent the 1st 13 years of my life on St.Lawrence Ave.so I remember your dad very well.....*Jakies*....I just phoned my Mom when I saw your post....she was thrilled to say the least.....Please email me privately....my email is MouseHead@mousehut.com Laura [Gismondi]
Laura.G.

Postby Buggsy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:45 pm

Anyone who went to St Anthony's in the 50's,60's remembers Jake's Candy Store it was an institution in that neighborhood. I don't remember any of Jake's children but I remember him well. If you are anywhere near the Bronx you should visit the old candy store. It has been done over to look like it did in the 50's. One of St. Anthony's alumni John Patrick Shanley is making a movie based on his award winning play "Doubt". The movie was being filmed at and near St. Anthony's and the Candy store exterior was done to look as it did at the time. It is well worth the visit to rekindle some memoies.
Buggsy

Postby dperricone » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:57 pm

Jake's brings back very happy memories. Jake was such a nice man and blessed with a lot of patience. I am looking forward to seeing my childhood friends and neighbors at the reunion!
Dolores Crepeau Perricone
dperricone

Postby Cathy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:45 pm

Lori,

So good to see that you are on the website. It was so funny a few years ago when we were having a business lunch and we discovered we were from the same neighborhood. In fact, you were in my husband's class. Small world! I look forward to seeing you on May 31st, if not before.

Cathy Merendino
Cathy

Return to Stratton Park