Pre 70's Memory Trivia Game (see below for explanation)

CLICK "Stratton Park" ABOVE for Information & History about Stratton Park - Just like always!!!!!!!

Pre 70's Memory Trivia Game (see below for explanation)

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:32 pm

Hi All :D

Hope everyone is having a great fun filled summer (sure is a hot one though).. Linda H. and I have come up with something as a new topic that we thought all might enjoy. We have had this great idea via an email I received from Betty Smith (Hi Betty :lol: )

This idea is kinda like a little trivia game. I will start and any and all who want to play along are more than welcome - we had a lot of fun with it. We have changed it a little bit from it's original email form. Each person who enters this topic will be asked to put in (10) either Movies, Commercials, T.V. Programs, Game Shows or Cartoons that we all watched back in the day. You can go as far back as you like but try to stay with a time period before the 70's'''''

Here goes mine
Patsy - Speedy Alka Seltzer Guy, Andy's Gang, Our Gang Comedies, Star Trek, Winky Dink , Topper, Ruff & Ready, Ding Dong School, Swampfox, Wagon Train, Broken Arrow...

Hope we get a good response to this one - I know we had fun and our fingers were so sore from typing back and forth - we never realized how many shows were out there for us... You can go as far back as you would like - HAVE FUN and I am really looking forward to see what everyone comes up with...
Regards and Best To all Always,

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Postby matt keenan » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:47 am

Hello All: I've been off the site for about a month and on 8-4-07 became a granfather to a handsome fellow whose name is William and very healthy. Great idea Pat and Linda. Sounds like fun. To start off I'll try a few of a few of your categories. I'll go back and try to think of some rather obscure ones. How about some commercials. There was the Colgate "Invisible Shield" Someone would stand behind a glass shield and have something thrown at them, like a snow ball, and just stare back without a flinch. Colgate protects your teeth like an invisible shield. Then there was Turkish Taffy B-O-N-O-M-O. And,what was sometimes a nickname I inherited from Matey soaks you clean in oceans full of fun, Bubbly, Bubbly, Bubbly, Oceans full of fun. Cartoons, ah there were so many. How about Casper the friendly Ghost, Jungle Jim which was very simple drawings with a moving background but used real lips; Oh, there was Gumby that twistable character and toy you could twist and never break. TV shows there are so many. In the early morning there was Dave Garroway, at Lunch there was Romper Room and the Do Bee a Good Bee and Don't be a Bad Bee. I remember Doby Gillis and his beatnik friend Maynard. For my tenth contribution I'll add another commercial. Choo Charlie was an Engineer, Choo Charlie was his name we hear, Choo Charlie rings his bell, Choo Charlie has Good-n-Plenty to make his train run. Or something like that. There are so many. Looking forward to seeing more from many. Have a good weekend. Love, Peace and Happiness. Matt Keenan
matt keenan

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:02 am

Hi Matt:

Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW GRANDSON !
Thanks for playing - :D

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Postby Linda Hall » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:42 am

Hi Patsy and Matty and the rest of the Stratton Park friends.I hope all are having a great summer.Anyway I will give my shows I remember every Sunday morning a nice childrens show called Davey and Goliath..I also remember Lassie,Batman,The flying nun,Happy days,Heart to Heart,I Dream of Jeanie,Bewitched and Love boat.Game shows were fun how about the Dating game,Whats that line and Password.Remembering commercials I have to say advertizments for the airlines like United.They sang fly the friendly skies of United.O Mr.Clean remember him big and bad but bald and an ear ring?I also remember a toy commercial Mr.Machine.He was a sort of robot man.You would turn the key in his back and he would walk and his arms would swing.The song went Mr.Machine he's ideal,he's for real.Cartoons were good too Mighty mouse,Daffy duck and Yogi bear and another was Good times which we all had so much of.That was fun Patsy good going and also a congrats to you also grandma.Matty the same wishes grandpa.The best to you :wink:
Linda Hall

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:46 am

Hi Matt & Linda:

Matt I do remember the Bonomo (ooo it's bonomo CANDY) :lol: Linda, I watched Davey and Goliath too... A little trivia question now for you both and any one else who wants join in "Who was BUCKY BEAVER" the product mascot for ????

Did anyone watch the premiere of the a new "Old" series last nite "Flash Gordon" ?????
Reminds me of another old show "Buck Rogers" :lol:

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Pre 70's trivia game

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:54 pm

hi everyone, i have to say it was a lot of fun trying to think of just 10.

1. Madge, the manicurist, Palmolive dish washing liquid. 2. Alka Seltzer, "PLOP, PLOP, FIZZ, FIZZ, OH WHAT A RELIEF IT IS"
or "I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING" (marshmallow meatballs)
3. Ed Sullivan with Popocheezio the little mouse, "KISS ME GOOD NITE EDDIE".
4Bracken's World ( About movie studios) 5. " ALIAS SMITH & JONES" (PETER DUAL, COMMITTED SUICIDE)
5.MIKE DOUGLAS SHOW-WEEKDAYS (after school) talk show from Philadelphia.
6. Ellery Queen-Jim Hutton (mystery show, set in the 1940's)
7.It Takes A Thief-Robert Wagner
9. Dick Van Dyke Show- Mary Tyler Moore's flip hairdo never moved.
10. Petticoat Junction,Green Acres and Beverly Hillbillies.
11. Here Comes The Bride-Booby Sherman, David Soul and a few other hunks.
12. Ironside-Raymond Burr
Now for my trivia question: Was the "HONEYMOONERS" based on "THE FLINTSTONES"? OR WAS "THE FLINTSTONES"
the original idea?
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Pre 70's trivia game

Postby marie-elena (ferracano) r » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:03 pm

Dear Pat,
regarding your Trivia question, about "Bucky Beaver". I had to check with a relative who is a bit older than me. Bucky Beaver was a mascot for some toothpaste commercial . The product was call Ipana Toothpaste (not sure of the correct spelling maybe IPANNA or Ifana) i, don't recall this commercial. Hope i answered your question correctly.
marie-elena (ferracano) r

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:06 am

Hi Marie Elena, and All:

You got it - Bucky Beaver was for Ipana Toothpaste.... As far as your question about the flintstones ( I don't know the answer) but I will check it out and get back to you :lol:
It's funny that I read you on the website - I sent a quick hello letter just today but I got it back from the webmailer and said I had an error in the email address which I took from here. ?

Now you have me curious about that one.... At first impulse you want to say the Flintstones came from the Honeymooners but I will see what I can find out. I always thought that the Honeymooners came way before the flintstone comic did but I could be wrong on my hunch.

Good Job tracking down the Bucky Beaver.

Anybody who has any other trivia questions or solution for Marie-Elena's question please jump right in.

Talk to you all soon - till then stay healthy, happy and laugh a lot ( it's supposed help keep you younger longer)

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:08 am

Hi Marie Elena, and All:

You got it - Bucky Beaver was for Ipana Toothpaste.... As far as your question about the flintstones ( I don't know the answer) but I will check it out and get back to you :lol:
It's funny that I read you on the website - I sent a quick hello letter just today but I got it back from the webmailer and said I had an error in the email address which I took from here. ?

Now you have me curious about that one.... At first impulse you want to say the Flintstones came from the Honeymooners but I will see what I can find out. I always thought that the Honeymooners came way before the flintstone comic did but I could be wrong on my hunch.

Good Job tracking down the Bucky Beaver.

Anybody who has any other trivia questions or solution for Marie-Elena's question please jump right in.

Talk to you all soon - till then stay healthy, happy and laugh a lot ( it's supposed help keep you younger longer)

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Bucky and Yabba Dabba Doo...

Postby Freddy C » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:38 am

Okay, here goes. You just hit the memory button...
Pat, you are correct: The Flintstones (circa 1962) were based upon the Honeymooner show (created by Jackie Gleason, circa 1952 on the fledgling Dumont Network, after which it went to CBS).
Marie-Elena: The Bucky Beaver commercial went something like...:Brusha, brusha, brusha, With the new Ipana ..New Ipana tootpaste... It makes your mouth taste fre---esh. Fresh! Fresh- you'll do allright.. with new Ipana toothpaste" !
(BTW, the mouse on Ed Sullivan was actually Topogeegio)
Matt: Choo Choo Charlie had a theme song; it went..."Choo Choo Charley was an engineer. Choo Coo Charley was his name we hear. He had an engine and it sure was fun. He used Good and Plenty candy to make his train run. Charley says 'Love my Good N' Plenty" Charley says 'It really rings the bell' Charley says 'Love my Good N' Plenty. Don't know any other candy that I love so well' ". <Memory>
OKAY now for some TV trivia......
1) One of my most watched TV shows was The Lone Ranger..
TRIVIA: Who played the Lone Ranger...what was his Indian sidekicks name and who was the actor that played him.
2) Another favorite was F-Troop, a send-up on the Cavalry and Indians theme.....
TRIVIA : What were the names of the Sargent and the Corporal.
3)Fred Gywnn (of Herman Munster fame) played a cop in a sitcom called Car 54
TRIVIA: What was his character's name, and name his partner.
SOME Candy memorabilia......
TRIVIA: Everybody knows Milky Way Bars, but can anyone remember the two other bars with "spacey" names ?
I remember colorful lollipops wrapped with cellophane and held by a rubber band. They were called Charms. The same company sold a package of square hard candies that were wrapped individually in cellophane, then stacked together in a foil wrapper which said "Charms" on the outside.
You used to be able to buy a certain ice cream treat at the movies. The outside was a chocolate shell, with vanilla ice cream inside, and shaped like a dome.
TRIVIA: What were they called?
Do you remember Felix the Cat? How about the Jetsons?
Ed Sullivan used to feature a regular guest who was a terrific ventrilloguist. He drew a puppet on his glove, a female character named Judy, and had a puppet face in a box, of whom he would ask, "It's allright?", and the puppet would reply from the closed box in a muffled voice "Saalright' !
TRIVIA: What was the name of the ventrilloquist ?
Pat: You mentioned Ding Dong School
FINAL TRIVIA OF THE DAY: What was the name of the schoolteacher on that show?
Freddy C

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:05 am

Hi All - It be me again :D

Hi Freddy and Marie Elena and Matty and Linda.
First of all meant to thank you Linda for the congrats on my granddaughter she is absolutely beautiful healthy and Mom is doing great after a c-section. Boy! to have the resiliance of youth back again.

Marie Elena - I gotta thank Freddy C. for his answer to Flintstones / Honeymooners - I was pretty sure I was correct but that is usually when I get myself in trouble (Being pretty sure LOL)... Thank you Freddy....

I am going to try and answer your questions in the order they came but can't answer them all though I know at one time I could have. (Why didn't you ask these 10 years ago before CRS set in :lol: )

(By the way I taught my kids and grandkids the Charley Says song - as they always called it, we would make a line like a train and go around the house singing the song :oops: :lol: and we had a blast especially with the really little ones - of course they were always the caboose and were swung around a little )

Lone Rangers sidekick Tonto Horses were Silver and Scout
One of the lines for new Ipana toothpaste was (It's Dandy for your teeeth)
can you believe that one? :lol:
Yes, Freddy you are correct about Topogeegio
F Troop - I remember Sargeant O'Rourke and for the life of me I can picture clear as a bell Corporal (What's his name) but can't remember the name !!! :lol:
As far as Car 54 I believe Fred Gwynn and partner were Gunther and Tutty
(May have spelled that wrong but you can get my drift )
One of the other candy bars was a Mars Bar and again CRS prevents the other name coming to mind
The Ice Cream in the movies was called Bon Bon's (Sam's club used to have them and of course I had to buy them and tell me kids what we used to eat in the movies and have melt all over if you didn't eat fast enough).
We lived in the midwest for 6 years and my eldest 35 Tricia remembers them in the movie theatre..
I think that wonderful older gentlemen from the Ed Sullivan show was Mr. Fuentes (I not too sure but I think I am correct - here we go again with the pretty sure :lol: )

Last but not least The Ding Dong School One - was it Miss Marcy ????

This has been fun - let's try and keep it going and let me know where I stand Freddy.

Have Fun All.

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

Rating Pat's answers...

Postby Freddy C » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:12 am

Congratulations, to Pat. She had quite a few right. I e-mailed her with the correct answers for the ones she didn't know. Here is a summary of her answers:
1) Yes it was Tonto, but the question asked the name of the actor who played him. Do you think you know it? (I held off telling her in case she still wants to quess).
2)Correct on the Ipana line...(in fact it was the final line). There were more than one verse, with interchangable sections. One was, "It fights decay germs best !
3)Sargeant O'Rourke is correct (played by Forrest Tucker); very good. But we still need the Corporal's name.
4) Re: Car 54--- Pat did remember two names, but they were the first and last name of Fred Gwynn's partner, Gunther Tootie. (He constantly would say Oooh Oooh !) But what was the name of Fred Gwynn's character?
5) On the candy bars, all three were made by the Mars Candy Company. Pat is absolutely on the money with Mars Bar. It was Dark chocolate with nuts and caramel. Milky Way of course is Milk chocolate with malt and caramel inside. The third bar was White chocolate with peanuts and nugent. It came in a white wrapper; it was my fave. What was its name?
6) Excellent recall on the Bon Bons. I don't doubt they were a hit with Pat's kids.
7) Yes, the ventrilloquist on Sullivan's show was a Spanish gentleman, and Pat was real close on his name. It sounded like Fuentes; he was billed as "Senor -------". Does anyone know what it was?
8)Finally, the teacher at Ding Dong School was not Miss Marcy.
Can anyone come up with some of the missing answers? Time will tell. But remember, take a chance at them before that CRS gets ya'. Right, Pat? (lol)
Freddy C

Postby Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:28 am

Hi All:

O.K. Freddy - My CRS took a break - sooo as I said in my email I think Tonto's name was (and I know I am probably spelling it wrong) Jay Silverheel - and he was a real American Indian...

I cannot participate in the rest of the questions fairly because you gave me the answer in your email.... I Don't Want to Cheat AND HAVE CRS.... :lol:

But I am not above giving a little hint in case someonelse wants to guess - my answer of Senor Fuentes was a little bit close to the SOUND OF THE correct name.. :P

Have fun with the rest of the answers on this one guys - I'LL BE WATCHING YOU :wink: and "I'll Be Bach" :lol:

Patsy
Pat (Jacob) Abbamonte

candy and f troop

Postby bob5915 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:45 am

Hi Freddy:
The name of the corpral on F troop was Larry Storch and the candy bar you are talking about with the white chocolate was called the zero bar. Really put the thinking cap on for this one. Hope these are correct.
Bobby
bob5915

Postby Eddie Acunzo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:51 am

This is exactly why when people get old they are unable to remember anything. Because their minds are full of useless trivial crap like this that no cares about, but them! How about 77 Sunset Strip; Naked City; Oh, Suzanna; Cookla, Fran and Ollie; Greatest Show on Earth; Get Smart; Twilight Zone; Alfred :); Outer Limits; Our Miss Brooks; My Three Sons; Ozzie and Harriet; Laugh-In; Leave it to Beaver;Hogan's Heroes; Wild, Wild West; Bic pen commercials (Pen barrel thru gun barrel), Timex watch commercials (watch on boat propeller) and the Marlboro Man?
Eddie Acunzo

Next

Return to Stratton Park